You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Starting Member


Monday, July 19th 2004, 11:48am

Jar top valve question

I have a valve in which the threads on the solenoid have ripped out of the valve body. I can not seem to find any indentification on the valve body itself. It is a jar top style. The solenoids say richdel 701 if that is any help. Are jar top valves universal or do I have to replace the entire valve assemble.



Advanced Member

Posts: 101

Location: Canada


Tuesday, July 20th 2004, 7:32am

Sorry, but jar tops valves are not universal. If the threads on the cap are stripped, you may want to take the cap to your supplier. They should be able to identify the valve from that and tell you who in your area sells (or sold, depending on how old the valve is) them originally. You can usually buy just the parts that you need.


Advanced Member

Posts: 229

Location: USA


Wednesday, July 21st 2004, 4:09am

Richdel is history! Bought out by Hardie, Hardie bought out by Irritrol and Now Irritrol bought out by Toro. You might want to go see a Toro dealer to see what they can do for you.


Advanced Member

Posts: 106

Location: USA


Thursday, April 7th 2005, 9:23am

replace unit .use a hunter jar top.
Vincent Nestor
Nestor's Sprinklers & Lighting


Advanced Member

Posts: 101

Location: Canada


Thursday, April 7th 2005, 12:22pm

Aquamatic is correct as to the history of Richdel, but, it is important to note that Toro has kept Irritrol as a seperate product line and the two lines are not at all the same. Find an irritrol dealer, and you will be in good shape. I have been able to use many parts from current Irritrol valves on old Richdel valves.


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,288

Location: Metro NYC


Thursday, April 7th 2005, 4:37pm

If the old jar top valve is black plastic or white plastic, it probably is an old-style Richdel jar-top. Buy a new Irritrol 2400 valve, and use it to replace the internals, including the stainless steel feed tube. (the new one is shorter)


Supreme Member

Posts: 314

Location: USA


Thursday, April 7th 2005, 7:53pm

Replace it with a residential Hunter valve if you are going to replace it.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread