You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.




Friday, March 9th 2012, 7:41am

need to redesign (adding a garden to my property)

Newbie to sprinklers here. I am considering adding a 16'x16' vegetable garden to one of the back corners of my property. This means I'll have to re-route the sprinkler head in the affected corner. After seeing how easy (and expensive it was) to have some heads replaced by a pro last fall, I was thinking about saving money about doing it myself.

I would have to re-locate the existing head and would also like to add a head inside the garden as well (if this is recommended). It would of course have to utilize the same zone.

I need suggestions for all material and tools involved to make this happen. This includes heads, connectors, fittings, pipe, and any tools that are required to make all the pieces of the puzzle come together. Assume that I have nothing to start with. Also if anyone knows a DIY video on how to make connections that would be great.

All I know is that I have black flexible water lines that feed all my heads. The previous (and original) owner of the house did not have a sprinkler zone or water line layout map for me so its all guesswork. All of my zone valves are buried someplace as well.

Attached is a before/after map that shows my intentions. The colored sections represent the coverage areas for each head. All of the ones pictured are (or will be) on the same zone.


Friday, March 9th 2012, 9:08am

A couple of general comments.
Sprinkler heads are designed for head to head coverage. That means that the water from one head should hit the next. In a 16' x 16' plot you should figure on 4 heads, one at each corner, for even coverage.
Each zone can only handle a certain amount of water. Before any design could be done you would have to know what is already on that zone to figure gallons per minute and whether the zone can handle additional heads.
Another consideration is that your vegetables might take more/less water than the other plants on that zone. You may end up over watering one area or under watering another. This can sometimes be compensated for by using different flow rate nozzles. Sometimes.

You can do the installation yourself. That's not a problem.
If you go to (the link forwarding is broken. Please cut/paste into browser) and click on "step by step" for help on each step. Since you already have a system some of it will not apply.
It will help you figure out your water flow and head spacing.




Friday, March 9th 2012, 10:05am

Didn't think about water flow requirements. Maybe I should leave it up to the pros.




Friday, March 9th 2012, 10:08am

You can do the installation yourself. That's not a problem.
If you go HERE click on "step by step" for help on each step. Since you already have a system some of it will not apply.

broken link?

From GatorGuy:
Technical issues have raised their ugly heads. The link is Cut/paste into your browser and I'll see what went wrong on our end.


Friday, March 9th 2012, 10:11am

Not trying to discourage you at all.
What you are trying to do is not difficult. It's well within the average person's capabilities.
It does require a more detailed consideration of the layout and water requirements.

There is PLENTY of help out there, both in the link given and online.
Taken step by step it becomes fairly simple.


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,305

Location: Metro NYC


Friday, March 9th 2012, 12:12pm

There might be a simple solution, but it depends on the system's backflow preventer, and maybe its height in reference to the intended garden area.


Supreme Member

Posts: 309

Location: Northern New Jersey


Friday, March 9th 2012, 3:29pm

Easy enough to move the head. Dig it up and move it. If you need more black flexible tubing (called PE) Home Depot or Lowes has it. They also have elbows, etc if you need to make a turn.

If you need to cut the tubing a utility knife will work or you can buy a tool for under $20.

Get that job done and if you need a head for the garden you'll have to tell the pros here the type of heads in that zone, how many, valve size, etc etc. Pictures will help.

Give this forum a shot and you can do it yourself.

Similar threads

Rate this thread