You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

screaming

New Member

Posts: 8

Location: Charlotte, NC

1

Wednesday, October 19th 2011, 7:16am

I have no idea how to fix this leak

Recently I was in the yard and noticed the sound of running water coming from underneath one of one of the covers of my irrigation system. I lifted the cover and got a nasty surprise--water gushing out where it shouldn't. I've attached a notated photo to show where water was pouring out.

I assume this is some sort of pressure safety valve. There is construction in my area, so maybe the water pressure got too high momentarily and broke some sort of relief valve? I have no idea but I fear for my water bill, since I have no idea how long it was pouring out like that.

I've (of course) shut off the supply to the irrigation system. I've also opened the ball valves shown at the top of the photo, although I know that was pretty pointless.

I would greatly appreciate any advice on identifying the problem and how to fix it.


Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Posts: 4,020

Location: Metro NYC

2

Wednesday, October 19th 2011, 11:18am

What you have is an RPZ device, with water leaking from the relief valve (not a pressure relief, but a "line of defense" built into the design) - It might be something as simple as a blockage in a port that connects one chamber of the device to another - then again, it might not - you are in pro territory now


Some locales consider an inspection for these devices to be of paramount importance, and they want to see the "paper trail" that establishes the bona fides of the person that inspected and passed the device.

screaming

New Member

Posts: 8

Location: Charlotte, NC

3

Wednesday, October 19th 2011, 2:13pm

It seems to be a Febco 860U. I now have documentation and information on parts replacement. Thank you very much for the help.

Edit: I finally got around to messing with the 860U. My intention was to go through the troubleshooting steps outlined in the maintenance manual. (By the way, thank you for that, Febco.) But whatever debris had given the 860U problems must have worked itself out, because the relief valve was no longer open. Unfortunately, the debris seems to have lodged in one of my valves, because the sprinkler heads in one of my zones stay up and continually put out a small amount of water, even when the zone is shut off. If I had it to do over again, I would have closed the outlet shutoff valve on the 860U and opened just test cock #4 (as shown in the aforementioned manual) before restoring water pressure to the system. That way the debris might have exited to the atmosphere instead.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "screaming" (Oct 20th 2011, 4:36pm)


Rate this thread