You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Saturday, July 9th 2011, 9:18pm

Water leaking where T bar goes

I don't know what the area is called - but that's where the T bar goes to open or shut the sprinkler system. When it's on, that area fills up with water and I can't see where the knob is where the T bar goes on. My water bill was astronomical needless to say so I turn the darn thing off but then my garden, lawn and veggie garden dies! I've had a sprinkler company fix the valves and change the control box but I didn't know about the leak until I saw the water bill and traced it back to the leak. I need help! Hubby is not handy at all and gets frustrated with the sprinklers so he's no help at all!

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,294

Location: Metro NYC


Sunday, July 10th 2011, 5:17am

So have the leak fixed already.


Sunday, July 10th 2011, 5:30pm

Wow! why didn't I think it was a leak!!! Thanks for the sound advice and for stating the obvious!

All I wanted to know was what is that area called and if a leak in that area is common and whether it's fixable
So have the leak fixed already.


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,294

Location: Metro NYC


Sunday, July 10th 2011, 6:06pm

This falls under the axiom of "if you have to ask, the answer is no"

If your pipes are shallow enough, then dig it all up and make a repair. Since you are keeping your location a mystery, we don't know how deep they are. In my area, those pipes can be five feet down.


Supreme Member

Posts: 493

Location: Seattle


Monday, July 11th 2011, 12:42am

Well make your husband dig it up and see what's leaking. ---- Talk about stating the obvious here... lol

The way you explan it makes it seem like a gate valve in a 2" pipe down in the ground
Probably the collar to the gate valve and just needs to be tightened. Good luck

If this is too much to handle for you guys then I recommend to have a local irrigation company come in a do it for you. Probably a different company then the one you had. Checking the water meter for leaks is one of the most important steps

Rate this thread