You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Murphy

Monday, August 25th 2003, 8:42am

Worth it to buy computer software/rain sensor?

I just received my order from SprinklerWarehouse and I bought a Pro-C controller. I was wondering it it is worth my while to purchase the software ($50-$60) to program on the computer. Also, how much would I benefit from the rain guage (10-$20.)

My system will probably consist of 30-40 I-20 rotors, 15-20 sprays and 8 or so zones. We live in Eastern Washington State with average summer rainfall of around 2-3".

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Monday, August 25th 2003, 9:16am

Hey,
Definatly purchase the Hunter Mini-Click or bettwe yyet for another 20 dollars you can buy a Hunter Wireless Rain Click (no wire hookup). thats a definate...but the Hunter Computer program is nothing worth while...all it is...is that the Pro-C appears on yuour computer and you can make program changes from your computer, instead of walking to the controller....dont worry about the Computer Programming,,,but definatly the rainsensor....i would buy the HUnter Wireless Rain Click from Sprinkler Warehouse.
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Murphy

Monday, August 25th 2003, 10:51am

Thanks for the info.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Monday, August 25th 2003, 12:26pm

Definatly..........let me know which rainsensor you went with?[8D]
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

reskin

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 17th 2011, 1:33pm

Virtual Rain Sensor

I chose to NOT go with a rain sensor. Instead I made a program which pulls the weather observations and runs the CIMIS calculations on transpiration and evaporation to figure out how much rain we need. It then deducts any rain we actually received and converts the solution to a runtime for the valve to be on through inexpensive X10 parts. Let me know if you are interested in trying this service free of charge (beta program) at reskin@virtualrainsensor.com

http://orpex.blogspot.com/2011/05/virtual-rain-sensor.html

kiril

Tuesday, May 17th 2011, 3:40pm

RE: Virtual Rain Sensor

I chose to NOT go with a rain sensor. Instead I made a program which pulls the weather observations and runs the CIMIS calculations on transpiration and evaporation to figure out how much rain we need. It then deducts any rain we actually received and converts the solution to a runtime for the valve to be on through inexpensive X10 parts. Let me know if you are interested in trying this service free of charge (beta program) at reskin@virtualrainsensor.com

http://orpex.blogspot.com/2011/05/virtual-rain-sensor.html
"Virtual rain sensors" simply will not cut it. Also, I sincerely hope you are not using CIMIS data and trying to apply it to other regions.

reskin

Unregistered

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 10:29am

RE: RE: Virtual Rain Sensor

"Virtual rain sensors" simply will not cut it. Also, I sincerely hope you are not using CIMIS data and trying to apply it to other regions.

What I am defining as a "virtual rain sensor" is basically using the closest weather station (personal or otherwise) as my rain gauge. More accurately I am using a Penman-Monteith equation adjusted by region using Department of Agriculture data. I have also extended the algorithm to adjust for forecast precipitation.

You can now download the application and try it out. Early adopters will have lifetime gratis accounts by helping work out the bugs.

reskin

Unregistered

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 10:30am

RE: RE: RE: Virtual Rain Sensor

You can now download the application and try it out. Early adopters will have lifetime gratis accounts by helping work out the bugs.
Sorry I forgot to post the link to the new website.

http://www.virtualrainsensor.com

kiril

Sunday, May 29th 2011, 8:46am

RE: RE: RE: Virtual Rain Sensor

What I am defining as a "virtual rain sensor" is basically using the closest weather station (personal or otherwise) as my rain gauge. More accurately I am using a Penman-Monteith equation adjusted by region using Department of Agriculture data. I have also extended the algorithm to adjust for forecast precipitation.

Still not going to cut it. On site collection of rain data is the only sure fire solution.
Furthermore, your "local" weather station will typically not have the data required to run the Penman-Monteith equation, and even if it did, this data is also better collected on site.

Tuesday, June 21st 2011, 11:14am

Agreed

Hey,
Definatly purchase the Hunter Mini-Click or bettwe yyet for another 20 dollars you can buy a Hunter Wireless Rain Click (no wire hookup). thats a definate...but the Hunter Computer program is nothing worth while...all it is...is that the Pro-C appears on yuour computer and you can make program changes from your computer, instead of walking to the controller....dont worry about the Computer Programming,,,but definatly the rainsensor....i would buy the HUnter Wireless Rain Click from Sprinkler Warehouse.
I agree.
CRI Irrigation
http://www.cri-irr.com/
Your Irrigation Services Company

Rate this thread