You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ssmat

Starting Member

Friday, October 19th 2018, 7:50am

Pump exploded being winterized

Hello I am new today. I had a company winterize my system yesterday and my wife said she heard an explosion and our pump blew up. They had a compressor hooked up and were finishing blowing out the lines and it exploded plastic all over my yard. My pump sits on a seawall and we pump out of the lake. The guy doing the work said he only had 95 psi on the system when it happened. Any idea if something was done wrong or is this normal on an older pump. Do you feel they should be responsible or is it on me?
Thanks

mrfixit

Friday, October 19th 2018, 8:39pm

We don't winterize in So. Cal so I'm not an expert on the subject and can't be quoted but, I did some reading.
Says 50 to 80 lbs on the Hunter Industries site.
Boots will know exactly what's up.
---
I read it again and at the bottom, number 5, it says to never blow out through the pump. You're supposed to drain the pump after the system is blown out. It sounds like the guy messed up. The pump should have been isolated from the system being blown out so air couldn't get to it.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Oct 20th 2018, 5:09am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 20th 2018, 8:31am

Definitely a mess-up, if there was any way to isolate the winterizing air from the pump. Even then, there are precautions that were not taken in the described winterizing. Air pressure over 60 psi is not needed. A pressure of 95 psi can put heads at risk, not to mention a plastic-case pump.

Rate this thread