You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Frank S

Sunday, October 14th 2018, 9:45am

Rainbird ESP Auto Run Initiation

I believe I pretty well understand the programming basics of my Railbird ESP controller. I've set Program A (only) to run 4 days per week, each zone to run for 30 minutes, zone 1 to begin at 5 AM. I then turn the controller knob to point to Auto Run. The problem is that that the program does not start/initiate at the set time and/or day. Is there something else I need to do, some other button to press, to make the controller accept the program I've set? Everything I try just seems to start Manual watering.

mrfixit

Monday, October 15th 2018, 1:43am

Which model of esp do you have?

Frank S

Monday, October 15th 2018, 7:50am

It's a ESP-TM2

mrfixit

Monday, October 15th 2018, 8:11pm

Check out these videos and see if you've programmed it correctly.

Maybe do a factory reset then reprogram.

Frank S

Monday, October 15th 2018, 9:32pm

Thanks, I'd seen those videos already. Nothing there indicates I'm doing anything incorrectly in the programming. The videos don't even mention turning the indicator to Auto Run when programming is complete. I was hoping someone with this particular ESP-TM2 controller could tell me if they simply turn the knob to indicate Auto Run after completing the programming process or if there is some other subsequent action required.

mrfixit

Tuesday, October 16th 2018, 4:24am

Is there a rain sensor that's not allowing the controller to run?
Can you turn the valves on manually at the controller?
I was wondering if you visually see the controller not starting or if you just assume it's not coming on because the valves didn't come on? Which would indicate a problem such as the water's turned off or the common wire's broken or loose. Maybe a bad master valve.
I have people tell me all the time that it didn't come on because the cement's not wet.

Frank S

Tuesday, October 16th 2018, 8:58am

"Is there a rain sensor that's not allowing the controller to run?"
There is a rain sensor. I'll disable it to see if it makes a difference.

"Can you turn the valves on manually at the controller? "
It runs fine if I initiate manual watering.

"I was wondering if you visually see the controller not starting or if you just assume it's not coming on because the valves didn't come on?"
The controller display shows an animated sprinkler head when it's operating in manual mode. It does not show that in the display at the time that it's supposed to be operating in Auto Run mode. That indicates to me that the controller is not starting.

"Which would indicate a problem such as the water's turned off or the common wire's broken or loose. Maybe a bad master valve."
Waters turned on and the controller is powered as it operates properly in Manual Mode.

mrfixit

Tuesday, October 16th 2018, 2:09pm

Ok, try this. Go out to the controller, disconnect the common wire. Now change the START time to a couple of minutes in the future. Does it come on? Maybe the number 1 solenoid's shorting it out.
Make sure the date is correct and you're on the day is on for watering.
And yes, you want the dial on auto.
If it's not working, do a factory reset. If that doesn't fix it then the controller's shot.
Is this controller new to you?

Frank S

Friday, October 19th 2018, 6:18am

I figured it out. When I was finished programming RUN DAYS, I finished with Sunday. I was missing the following note in the manual:

CAUTION: If Sunday is selected, will enter and
activate Cyclic Watering (see the Advanced Programming
section). If this is not desired, press the back arrow button to return to watering by Custom Days.

I was leaving the RUN DAYS programming mode, after setting Sunday, without backing up to Saturday. That was leaving the RUN DAYS in Cyclic Watering mode rather than Custom Days of the Week mode. Program is running properly now, hope this helps someone else.

Rate this thread