You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.




Saturday, May 24th 2008, 9:57am

adding Drip lines


This is my first attempt at working with my irrigation system. I just converted and enlarged a flower garden to a vegetable garden and want to change the pop up spray sprinklers to drip line. I now have 3 hunter heads on the zone which fed the garden. The garden is about 10'W x 25'L. I am planning on having 4 to 5 rows of plants. I want to do this the easiest way possible. The guy at the hunter dist. seemed to make it complicated saying I would need to rip out the existing pipe and add many new parts. Can I just adapt some type of unit to where the head is now and run the drip lines from that? i did see a rainbird xbd xeri-bird 8 multi-unit emission device, is this all that i need to create the system i am looking for? It talks about accepting xeri-bug emitters(?) What type of tubing should i use? Do the 1/4" distribution tubes plug into the 1/2 tubing? Sorry for being such a noob.


Supreme Member


Saturday, May 24th 2008, 3:30pm

A good starting point for information would be ... specifically the page

The guy at hunter was somewhat correct. With a drip system, you have to make sure the pressure has been regulated down to about 30-40psi, and the water has to be finely filtered. Without a filter (even on city water), the drip emmitters will quickly become clogged.

Now if you had something like the RainBird 1804 pop-up bodies, you could use something like this: It's designed to replace the spray head. You then just need something to transition from threaded to the 1/2" drip tubing. Howeve, you will have to repalce one of the sprays with this retro kit (and likely also purchase a Rainbird 1804 sprinker head for the retro kit to fit in) and cap off the other two sprays, or convert all three and have the water coming into the garden from three different directions. The other option is to rip out the existing spray heads, reuse the pipe, but you'll have to add the filter and pressure regulator before the valve. So you might have to rip out the valve as well. Likely the simplest solution is to get three of these retro kits and (likely 3 1804 Rainbird sprinklers to put the retro kit in) and just replace the existing spray heads. However, that will only work if these spray heads only feed the garden. If they feed other spray heads on the lawn, then its going to be difficult (not impossible, but difficult, even for a professional) to match precipitaion rates in the drip system AND the lawn sprays on the same circuit. A drip irrigation system needs it's own circuit.


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,294

Location: Metro NYC


Sunday, May 25th 2008, 6:32pm

The 1800 Retrofit kit includes the body, and is ready to use. It might take more than one fitting to get from the 1/2 MPT outlet to your choice of drip tubing.

Rate this thread