You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Pikvas19

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 12:06am

Zone 2 will not shut off - even after replacing the controller

I have a 6 zone orbit sprinkler system. Everything was working great until one of the sprinkler heads from zone 1 needed to be replaced after hitting it with the lawn mower. Then when I did a manually run to test the sprinkler, zone 1 worked fine, but when zone 2 came on it would not go off, even turning off the system, unplugging the system. I had to turn the water off at the main water source. I replaced the valve with a new one, same problem. I even returned the valve for another new one, thinking I purchased a defective one. I switched the wires on the controller from zone 1 & zone 2 and still the same problem. Old zone 1 worked good in the zone 2 wire slot & the old zone 2 stayed on in the zone 1 wire slot. So it is not the controller box. I replaced the wires leading from the faulty zone to the valve and it still stayed on when I turned the water on. I just can't figure out what changing a sprinkler head in zone 1 would have done to zone 2 valve to keep the water running. Zone 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6 all work great.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Pikvas19" (Aug 26th 2018, 10:41pm)

mrfixit

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 12:48am

It's just a fluke. Changing the sprinkler has nothing to do with it.
There's something wrong with valve 2. It's not the controller or the wiring.

Pikvas19

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 10:38pm

It's just a fluke. Changing the sprinkler has nothing to do with it.
There's something wrong with valve 2. It's not the controller or the wiring.
Sorry - I meant valve when I said I changed the controller. I will edit my post. I changed the valve with two different new valves and still have the same problem - even when I change the wires from zone 1 and zone 2.

mrfixit

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 11:49pm

Did you install the new valve backwards? Is the solenoid snug clockwise?
What's the model of the valve?

Pikvas19

Monday, August 27th 2018, 2:25pm

Did you install the new valve backwards? Is the solenoid snug clockwise?
What's the model of the valve?
It is an Orbit 57623 anti-siphon, same as the original one. And, yes, I doubled check and it is set in the right setup. As I was saying before. The original one worked perfect up to the time we replaced the sprinkler head on zone 1. I know you say that is a fluke - it doesn't have anything to do with the problem with one 2. But it just seems odd that the original valve quit working at that time and we have replaced it with 2 new valves that act the same way. Will not shut off - no matter what zone I put the wires into. And all other valves work when I put their wires in the zone 2 controller slot. Kind of at a lost now - except to just plug off that line and run more sprinklers off of zone 1. Thanks

mrfixit

Monday, August 27th 2018, 3:13pm

Maybe you're working on the wrong valve. There's no reason it wouldn't turn off with a brand new valve if it's installed correctly and the solenoid is in the off position and there are no wires hooked up to it.