You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, August 25th 2018, 9:20pm

voltage question regarding Richdel R711A

This control valve is rated for 24V. My original power pack burnt out. I have two others to choose from. I used a 16VAC which measures at 17.25VAC, and everything worked fine for about a year. Now, I find it apparently doesn't open the valve enough to allow the water to reach the higher emitters. I can switch this to a 24VAC which measures at 29.25VAC, but I fear that will exceed the 24V this controller is rated for. Is this a power issue or a diaphragm issue or something else? If I open the vacuum breaker, I get plenty of pressure to reach the higher emitters. What are your thoughts on this?

mrfixit

Saturday, August 25th 2018, 11:38pm

A new diaphragm will probably get it working again.
You want the diaphragm for a 205 valve.

Your valve is very old. Maybe buy a complete 205 and swap out all the parts.

Or, just replace the whole valve.

As far as fiddling around with different voltage transformers. That's probably not a good idea.

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 7:06am

I'd like to know how the diaphragm change might affect the difference between having the controller turned on electrically or as a result of the vacuum breaker. Wouldn't both do the same thing? Would increasing the voltage possibly burn out the switch? I like understanding the mechanics involved rather than just hearing suggestions. Thank you for your help.

mrfixit

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 7:31am

Sorry, I've used up my limited knowledge of jerry rigging a controller with the wrong transformer.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 27th 2018, 7:00am

Use the 24VAC transformer, and don't worry about its open-circuit voltage that you measured.

Monday, August 27th 2018, 9:56am

Thank you. I hope this fixes the problem.

Monday, August 27th 2018, 11:09am

I switched transformers, and nothing has changed. I checked my 10K gallon tank level [gravity feed], and it is just over 1/2 full [drought conditions in Southern California]. Since I get water to the emitters when I break the vacuum, are we talking about a diaphragm issue, or could it be another problem?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 28th 2018, 8:09am

You need either a diaphragm (by far the most likely solution) or a complete guts swap with a new 205F valve.

Rate this thread