You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cpatton13

Unregistered

Friday, August 24th 2018, 11:26pm

Backflow/Winterization Question

Hey all!

So I'm knee deep in a DIY sprinkler system project and this weekend I would like to tie into the water source. After some deliberation I decided to tee off a hose bib line, I know this isn't ideal normally but the system is designed for low flow/low PSI. Also, while setting up the system I've had a regular hose attached to the PVC main line just to test/flush the heads as they're installed. Anyway... so my current setup is as follows (1/2 inch copper line)

Check Valve -> House/Exterior Wall -> Tee -> Hose Bib
|
Ball shutoff valve

And that's where I'm at now. I would like to add a second backflow device below the shutoff valve, and I would like to set up for blow out winterization so I believe I need a hookup (or two?) for that below the shutoff valve. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to what kind of backflow device and winterization/blow out hookups are needed. Am I missing anything-- do I need a drain valve? Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

cpatton13

Unregistered

Friday, August 24th 2018, 11:29pm

Note: I thought my diagram would copy over better but the spacing didn't take. The ball shutoff valve is directly below the tee. So my question is what other connections I need between the shutoff valve and the main line (IE backflow device, drain valve if needed, winterization/air compressor hookup).

RichMoney

Sunday, August 26th 2018, 4:16pm

Directly after you T install the ball valve or shut off, next I would install a threaded T with 1/4" threads to hook up an air fitting too. You can install a plug in the 1/4" threads for now.

Each city/county have different rules for backflow devices as far as type and even where they can be installed. Check with your local authorities to see what the recommend.

https://sprinklerresource.com

Rate this thread