You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Thursday, August 23rd 2018, 5:57pm

Lawn conversion - Residential

I have a rectangular space that is roughly 30' x 100'. Up until recently it was turf. The new landscape will be drought resistant and I plan to use a drip irrigation system.

The existing irrigation valves are all located at one end of the 100' run and feed 3/4" PVC lines. Valves and lines are in very good shape. The valves are also out of sight, so I'm reluctant to move them.

1. There are lot's of conversion parts to convert spray to drip irrigation. Is this a good solution? If so, are some solutions better than others?
2. I hear PE tubing is rated for 10 years. I'm not keen on having ~100' +/- PE tubing runs that will have to be replaced for one reason or another. Should I bite the bullet and move say 1/2 of the existing valves to the other side of the yard to reduce length of runs? Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.



Posts: 2,367

Location: USA


Friday, August 24th 2018, 1:11am

Wont you be running 100 feet of tubing no matter where the valves are?

Replacing drip is easy peasy. Especially if it's on top of the ground. Moving the valves sounds like a pain in the butt.


Saturday, August 25th 2018, 2:55pm

You are probably right about tubing runs now that I look at my planting plan.

What about using spray to drip conversion parts (e.g.: Rain Bird Pop-Up Sprinkler to Drip Emitter Conversion)? How is leveraging my current irrigation system investment inferior to installing an all drip system from valve to plants?



Posts: 2,367

Location: USA


Saturday, August 25th 2018, 3:45pm

I never said it was inferior. But since you mentioned it.

That set up is just harder to maintain in my opinion.
Plus you have long runs of 1/4" tubing all over the place.

I'm assuming this is what you're talking about? Click on me

How about this? Click

Your call. Whatever you feel more comfortable with.




Wednesday, September 5th 2018, 5:22pm

Hunter IH Risers with Hunter Point Source Emitters

If your plant materials not a groundcover, why not remove your existing sprinkler heads and run a new PVC line from that sprinkler to the nearest plant locations. Use a Hunter IH Risers which come in 6" to 36" lengths. Then use the Hunter Point Source Emitters which screw onto the risers and come in flow rates from .5 to 6 Gallons Per Hour (GPH). In any case,
There are some things you will need to consider:
1. Make sure you have some kind of pressure regulation, as drip irrigation requires a lower pressure.
2. Make sure you are filtering the water to the required level for your emitters.
3. Make sure that your existing valves will operate at low flows.
OR: simply replace your valves with HUnter Drip Control Zone Kits which include a valve, filter, and preset inline pressure regulator already factory assembled. They come in both AVB and inline type valves.
4. Calculate your projected number of emitters and multiply by the emitter's rated flow rate then divide by 60 to find Gallons Per Minute. A 3/4" PVC pipe should be able to handle a flow of 8 Gallons Per Minute (GPM) which is equal to 480 Gallons Per Hour (GPH). If you use a .5 GPH emitter you could have up to 960 emitters on one valve! That means you could eliminate the other valves and simply tie the three station's PVC pipe together and use one valve!
Hope this helps.



Posts: 2,367

Location: USA


Thursday, September 6th 2018, 4:54am

I question if Hunter will continue this product for long. They have a habit of discontinuing things. I'm wondering if parts will be available for repairs in the future.

Rate this thread