You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

2Charlie

Starting Member

Monday, August 20th 2018, 10:59am

How to decide which irrigation system product/brand to use?

I'm thinking of hiring professional to install a new irrigation system on my lawn. What are some good brands to consider? So far one installer is using Toro and the other is using Hunter. Among these two, which one is better?

mrfixit

Monday, August 20th 2018, 10:47pm

Opinions vary dramatically on this question. If I were to install a sprinkler system for myself,

I'd go with a Hunter controller, Rainbird 1800 series pop ups and Irritrol 2500 series valves. If you need check valves in your pop ups, go with Hunter Pro sprays. I'm not happy with the Rainbird SAM's at all. I'm going to write them a letter soon on that subject.

But between Toro and Hunter, go with Hunter. They have excellent controllers, valves and pop ups. Plus PGP's if you need rotors. But in my personal opinion, stay away from the MP rotators. Some people swear by them. Not me.

RichMoney

Monday, September 3rd 2018, 4:25pm

I agree, stay away from Toro. I have never had any luck with their residential products. Hunter would be the way to go preferably I20's for the rotor heads and try to opt for 6" spray heads for the turf if possible. 6" spray heads pop out of the grass better and are not blocked by higher turf grasses.

Definitely stay away from the MPRotors aswell. They have often used a shortcut to mix rotor heads and spray heads on the same zones.

If you would like more detail on how to pick the right heads, here is a blog post I wrote on the subject.

https://sprinklerresource.com