You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

BenS

Wednesday, August 8th 2018, 3:33am

Need Help with very old system ASAP

Hey guys Extremely stuck ATM and need a hand with some Old Irrigation system.

Irrigation was installed 23-25 years when house was first built so working in the blind, have absolutely no idea how it was run, by who it was installed by and also do not have any plans. Pretty much thought id give the system a go, has not worked for a very long time and has been neglected. Control box is definitely cooked along with all solenoids on all 3 valves. Wanted to get a layout of the system first before i freshen up with a new control box,Valves, solenoids and sprinkler heads so thought id just run all of it manually by bleeder screw/solenoid just to map it out and move from there.

As seen i have a 3 Zone system, Using the manual operation zone 1 and 2 worked perfectly fine, Zone 1 powered all 8 sprinkler heads and popped up out of the ground after 20 years or so no problems, Zone 2 powered the outside garden bed also flow was perfect no problems, but Zone 3 is inactive. A suspected faulty valve may have been the problem but ended up changing Zone 2 Valve which was working perfectly fine to Zone 3 and still nothing. Unsure what the next step is as i also can not find Sprinkler heads for Zone 3 as all buried. Lawn is roughly 850 Square meters and used to be run of a 2 zone system when first installed. Zone 1 has 8 sprinkler heads and covers more than half the yard atm but cant get zone 3 to operate. Out of ideas and not sure what else to do looking for some help Thanks.
Unsure what the other pipes are

BenS

Wednesday, August 8th 2018, 3:57am

EDIT

Also have let it run with no water patches and checked water meter showing no change, so cant be a leak

mrfixit

Wednesday, August 8th 2018, 4:38am

You must be in Australia. You said you swapped out the number 2 and 3 valve. What did you do? Change the bonnets and diaphragms?

Since you're going to be rebuilding the whole thing anyway, maybe just cut the pipe and glue a hose fitting onto it then run the hose down the pipe to try and locate the heads. You could do that with that other open pipe as well to see if it goes anywhere. Or you could just hook the pressure line up to it directly and turn the water on. The heads should be located in a similar manner as the other half of the grass.

BenS

Wednesday, August 8th 2018, 4:46am

You must be in Australia. You said you swapped out the number 2 and 3 valve. What did you do? Change the bonnets and diaphragms?

Since you're going to be rebuilding the whole thing anyway, maybe just cut the pipe and glue a hose fitting onto it then run the hose down the pipe to try and locate the heads. You could do that with that other open pipe as well to see if it goes anywhere. Or you could just hook the pressure line up to it directly and turn the water on. The heads should be located in a similar manner as the other half of the grass.
Yea i am in Australia, when swapped i just switched the Bonnet and diaphragm and made no difference, could the line be crimped somewhere down the line or? i think that might be the plan just hose fitting on each if that does not work then have to dig/redo the main lines? would be a huge job to dig the trench for that it runs a fair way

mrfixit

Wednesday, August 8th 2018, 5:03am

Don't worry, I couldn't hear your accent. =) It's the red wires on the solenoids. They're white here. Oops. I meant the wires are black here. Once upon a time they were white.

Maybe use your logic and find one of the missing sprinklers then hook the hose up from there and see what happens.
The line could be capped off somewhere.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Aug 8th 2018, 5:12am)

BenS

Wednesday, August 8th 2018, 8:48am

Don't worry, I couldn't hear your accent. =) It's the red wires on the solenoids. They're white here. Oops. I meant the wires are black here. Once upon a time they were white.

Maybe use your logic and find one of the missing sprinklers then hook the hose up from there and see what happens.
The line could be capped off somewhere.
Any tricks to finding the heads the yard is very odd shaped and cant really see how a pattern can be done very odd shapped

mrfixit

Wednesday, August 8th 2018, 3:14pm

Borrow a metal detector. A good one. Put it in "all metal" mode and go slowly.
My machine will pick up the adjusting screw on a plastic nozzle.
This isn't a guaranteed method but it's an option.
--
Look at the lay of the land, can you see a low spot where there might be a sprinkler that someone trimmed around?
---
Leave that hose on while you look. Maybe a wet spot will appear.
--
You can always follow the pipe with a shovel. You don't have to dig the pipe up, you can just tap tap on it with the shovel.
This could take a couple of hours but it works as long as the pipe isn't too deep. Pipes have a very distinctive feel about them.

Rate this thread