You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bdrosenlof

Starting Member

Tuesday, May 15th 2018, 4:46pm

What contaminates my potable water?

Two similar scenarios. I'm wondering which scenarios are a real risk to contaminate my potable water supply.

1) I leave a hose connected to the spigot for a month. The other end of the hose is sitting on my lawn. During that month, countless contaminants enter the hose. At some point, I put a sprayer on the end of the hose (the kind that only sprays when "opened" or a trigger is pulled). I turn the water on. Nothing is coming out of the sprayer yet because I haven't opened it. Do the contaminants living in the hose find their way into my potable water supply? I'm assuming so, since I imagine the water doesn't just sit in the hose. It must be moving, right? And has the potential to make its way back into my main supply. (Note: I don't have a backflow device installed anywhere in the system)

2) There's an old PVC pipe I dug up in my backyard. I've traced its path going into my house in the crawl space. I don't see any backflow installed anywhere on the line. It is tied into my potable water supply. I find that this PVC line used to serve a bunch of valves that are part of a sprinkler system (most of which is damaged beyond repair). I bypass the valve assembly, connect the main PVC line directly to one of the sprinkler lines so I have a main line running to the back of my property. I tie some drip irrigation to this line and turn it on, with only a few emitters dripping at 1gph. Similar question as above: There has to be old stale water from the 20+ year old PVC that doesn't flow OUT to the drip, and flows back into my potable supply, right?

(Note: I haven't actually done either of these things, but I wanted to try and understand how this all works before moving forward with any plans)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 16th 2018, 11:18am

The plumbing codes for backflow prevention exist for a reason. Instead of puzzling out scenarios and re-inventing the wheel, just make your plumbing code-compliant. Since most regional plumbing codes consider your sprinkler system water as being toxic (by way of being in contact with the outdoors) you eliminate concerns by making the plumbing code-compliant, and leaving the outside water to stay outside, never again to re-enter the home.

Rate this thread