You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, July 25th 2017, 1:44pm

Square Solenoid Replacement?

Hi all,

I've got a zone that isn't coming up. I inherited this system from previous owners and I'm not sure which solenoid to replace it with. Any chance someone can give me a recommendation from the this visual?

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 26th 2017, 12:14am

A bad solenoid is rarely the problem.
If you want to post a picture, go to www.tinypic.com, upload your pic then cut n paste the "forum" code to your post.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 26th 2017, 8:08am

The solenoids are almost certainly the discontinued Weathermatic M24E - replace them with the new S20P - but don't fiddle with the valves until you clean out the valve box and remove more dirt

A wiring check for continuity would be in order. If you are going to handle maintenance on this system, you should own a multimeter. They're cheap enough. In fact, Harbor Freight actually gives them away on occasion, as a sales promotion.

Wednesday, July 26th 2017, 10:35am

OK Thanks!

I already shop-vac'd out quite a bit of loose dirt, but I'll do some more. I have the multi-meter, but haven't gotten in there to check it out yet. I know there is water coming through that valve and it doesn't appear to be the controller as it works for my other zones. But I'll keep after it. I wish I lived closer to Harbor Freight though.

Thanks again!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 27th 2017, 12:14pm

If you already have a multimeter, it is automatically superior to the HF freebie. :)

Thursday, August 17th 2017, 4:54pm

Well multi-meter reads at the controller show high resistance (relative to other valves) on the two valves which aren't working. So that's - I guess - good. I'll do a reading tonight at the actual valve to see if it is a wiring problem or a solenoid problem. I guess if the reading at the solenoid itself comes back the same as at the controller - I'm pretty sure I just need to replace the solenoids with the s20p.

If you already have a multimeter, it is automatically superior to the HF freebie. :)

Rate this thread