You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Gpuryear

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 6:25pm

Only one solenoid for 8 zones!

Hi everyone!
Just bought my first house after getting medically retired and I'm having a few problems with my sprinkler system. First, I'm trying to troubleshoot a low water pressure issue in one zone, I've been told to check the solenoid for that zone, but I'm pretty sure there is only one solenoid to the entire system, and it's coming directly after the city water valve. Is this even possible? My house was built in 2013 by Aston wood, but I don't know if that helps at all. It's a hunter control digital control box with zones 2-8 out of nine possible points on the box set up. I don't know if another zone is actually hooked up or not, but I can't tell. I' think one zone may be the small sections of grass between the sidewalk Nd the street, which I'm told should be a drip line in the ground? Any way I could confirm this? In regards to the one zone with low water pressure, do I just need to replace the sprinkler heads? There's not enough pressure to get the heads to pop up all the way. Sorry for all the new guy questions, but any advice is appreciated!!!

mrfixit

Sunday, July 2nd 2017, 7:51pm

Can you post a picture of the terminals for the wiring at the controller?
Go to www.tinypic.com
Upload your pic there then cut n paste the forum code to your post.

Gpuryear

Monday, July 3rd 2017, 1:33pm

Here is the panel. I'll post close ups in a minute

Gpuryear

Monday, July 3rd 2017, 1:53pm

Gpuryear

Monday, July 3rd 2017, 1:56pm

Gpuryear

Monday, July 3rd 2017, 1:59pm

This is a sprinkler head in the zone with low water pressure. It seems like this sprinkler head is the only one in that zone that has good pressure. Could the way they hooked this one up effect the pressure of the other heads in the zone? Lastly, can't I just attach this head or a new head to where the hose is going into? I'm assuming they may have done this to make the head not stick out of the ground as much? Thanks for your help!

mrfixit

Tuesday, July 4th 2017, 2:23am

Excellent pictures, thank you!

Ok, you have 9 valves. 1 is the master valve. That's the one you've located already. That is not the problem. The master valve turns on and off with each individual zone. 1-8. When The timer shuts off the master valve shuts off so the mainline to the sprinkler system is not under constant 24 hour a day pressure.
I see you have a smart port connected to the controller. That's the red, white and blue wires connected at the top left. That's for a remote control. If you don't have one I highly recommend you get one.Hunter Roam Remote.
Check your local sprinkler supply store for pricing. If you're going to be doing your own maintenance, the remote will save you tons of time and problems. You wont have buyer's remorse.

Either the valve isn't coming on all the way or there's a break in the line somewhere. That jerry rigged sprinkler I believe is being fed through that cheap blue swing joint thing. I highly doubt the rest of the sprinklers are being fed through it. But you never know. People do some crazy things. If that's the case it could indeed cause low pressure.

So look for leaks and find the valve. The valve probably just needs repair. If you can't locate the valves you'll need an electronic valve locator to trace the wire to the valves. There are other devices that might work like a chatter box but maybe hire a guy to find all the valves if you can't locate them yourself.

Gpuryear

Tuesday, July 4th 2017, 3:12pm

Mrficit, I really appreciate your help! Is it possible for these solenoid to be buried? I wouldn't think one of these 8 other solenoid/valves would be that hard to spot. They are solenoids just like the main one correct? Also, with the ghetto rigged one. 8 can just unscrew that hose and put the sprinkler heD on it right? Assuming there's a male and female ends.

mrfixit

Tuesday, July 4th 2017, 5:25pm

You can't really assume anything.

The other valves could be totally different.

I suppose if you could unscrew that thing you'd know what direction the water's flowing. It might be possible they jerry rigged it to run the rest of the heads. You wont know until you investigate. Water the ground for easy digging and dig er up.

The valves are probably buried in the ground in valve boxes. Are you in a new tract? If so, check your neighbors set up because there's a better than good chance yours will be similar. The timer looks like a professional set up. That rigged thing, not so much.

Since the system is so old, it shouldn't be that deep in the ground if it's buried. Maybe a chatterer would help you find it. It makes the solenoid click click click so you can hear it and locate the boxes.