You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kevin79

Wednesday, May 31st 2017, 8:24pm

Zone only works when bleed screw is open

I have one zone that only works when the bleed screw is open slightly. Of course, with the bleed screw open, water leaks out. The zone has 5 heads on it (4 are popup spray heads, either half circle or full circle) and one is a popup rotor. The zone has about 45 psi. I cleaned the valve and the sprinkler system is driven from a pump that draws from a well. I recently replaced the pump that gave my a little more pressure, the zone had about 35 psi before. Any ideas what is wrong?

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 31st 2017, 9:54pm

Are you saying the valve comes on stronger when you open the bleeder screw?

If so then the diaphragm needs to be changed.

45 lbs isn't much. That rotor is sucking a lot of water. Maybe put a smaller nozzle in it. Ideally you want all the same type of sprinlers on one zone. All sprays or all rotors. Yes I know, you're covering a larger area that the sprays wont reach. No worries, the sprinkler police wont get you.

kevin79

Thursday, June 1st 2017, 7:09am

Are you saying the valve comes on stronger when you open the bleeder screw?

If so then the diaphragm needs to be changed.

45 lbs isn't much. That rotor is sucking a lot of water. Maybe put a smaller nozzle in it. Ideally you want all the same type of sprinlers on one zone. All sprays or all rotors. Yes I know, you're covering a larger area that the sprays wont reach. No worries, the sprinkler police wont get you.

I'm not understanding. The valve doesn't come on at all unless I open the bleeder screw. If I have it open and the valve turns on then close the screw, the valve will turn off after a minute.

Would the rotor be causing the issue?

mrfixit

Thursday, June 1st 2017, 12:20pm

The valve probably isn't getting power from the controller. The wire might be disconnected somewhere.
Is there a spare wire you could try?
Could be the timer isn't putting out a signal to that valve.
If you have a volt meter you should do a resistance check to see if there's a problem with the wiring.
Could be a bad solenoid. That's not usually the case but I can't rule it out. I do see it now and then.
Could be a clogged port inside the valve. That's even rarer in my experience but it does happen.

kevin79

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 12:04pm

I will look for another wire and try the suggestions you provided, thanks.