You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DerStig

Monday, May 15th 2017, 1:26pm

Tree trunks

I live in a heavily wooded township where average property age is around 60-70 years and as such there are a lot of very tall (60-100 ft) trees in everyone's property. I have a 0.5 acre yard I am working on building a sprinkler system on and I have total of 37 trees excluding small ones. 25 of these trees have massive tree trunks (well over 3-4ft in diameter).

I read all about not watering the trunks and keeping them dry but the more install zones/heads, the more I realize the trees are creating an extremely difficult problem to solve for me. I find myself positioning my heads around them so that the water doesnt hit the trunks which result in very inefficient design overall. For example I have case where because of two tree trunks in close proximity to each other, I have to install 3 heads just so that they dont get water vs 1. I have only done 1 zone so far and I think if I continue with this approach of staying away from trees, I will end up with twice as many zones as I should not to mention no grass will grow around the trunks.

Whats the solution here? These are fairly mature trees not those smaller ones you see in a typical suburban house built in 90s or 2000. Will they really die if water hits the trunk?

Another thing to note is because there are so many trees around, trunks dont get enough sun and as a result all have green moss. This has been the case forever so its not like they are all dry.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 15th 2017, 8:58pm

Tree trunks don't die from lawn sprinkler watering. If you directed high pressure fire hose water at a tree trunk, you could do it some damage, but a sprinkler head spraying 3-4 gpm with 50 psi at the head is no big deal.

DerStig

Tuesday, May 16th 2017, 6:54am

Tree trunks don't die from lawn sprinkler watering. If you directed high pressure fire hose water at a tree trunk, you could do it some damage, but a sprinkler head spraying 3-4 gpm with 50 psi at the head is no big deal.

thanks, I m at 2.5 gpm. So a professional wouldnt mind having sprinklershit the trunks once in a while?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 17th 2017, 9:08am

When the spray from a sprinkler head is so fierce that it hurts your hand to place it in the water stream, then you can worry about tree trunks.

If you really wanted to pursue this idea, you would remove the conventional rotor heads and replace them with stream rotor heads, which won't spray as far, requiring more heads in a design. The advantage of stream rotors is that the watering is split up into multiple streams that are more gentle than single stream sprinkler heads. In real life, this is meaningless so far as tree trunks are concerned, but an advantage so far as some flowering shrubs are concerned, with gentler watering less likely to knock off blossoms.

Rate this thread