You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

felixk

Unregistered

Saturday, May 13th 2017, 5:21pm

Low Pressure - too many heads

The house I bought a couple years ago has an automatic sprinkler system where one zone is probably twice the size it should be. As a result, the number of sprinkler heads required to cover all the lawn means there are too many sprinkler heads and the water pressure is incredible low - heads only popping up about 1/2 way. If I cap some of the heads, it would increase pressure, but then I'm afraid there would be big sections of lawn that the water doesn't reach (not that it all gets wet now, since the heads don't spray far enough as is). Any thoughts? Is there a kind of head that sprays far with low pressure - cap a bunch and install different heads and just have the zone run longer? Or, is it possibly to split that zone into two - or does that mean digging 1/2 the yard up?

mrfixit

Saturday, May 13th 2017, 6:53pm

The first thing I'd do is check to see if two valves are coming on at the same time and if they are why? Maybe there's two valves wired together or touching wires somewhere.
Find the valve you think is running that area and turn it on manually to see if all the heads pop up or only half of them.
If they're on one valve you could try using the Toro low flow nozzles. I believe they use 40% less water than the standard spray head. If you use these keep in mind you'll have to run the sprinklers longer.
Also look for leaks in the line.

Rate this thread