You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ntran12

Wednesday, May 10th 2017, 11:02am

Pipe size when taping to water meter

About to install my sprinkler system, just want to ask if there is any benefit of using 1" copper pipe from the meter (located in my basement) to the outside (point of connection) vs. using 3/4" copper pipe? My meter is 5/8 and connected to 3/4" copper pipe (then reduced to 1/2") to provide water to the whole house. The run from my meter to the outside where I will connect to 1" poly pipe (main line) is approximately 25'. The water pressure from the outside spigot is 55 psi.

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 10th 2017, 11:29pm

I wouldn't tap into a 1/2" line to feed the sprinkler system. Can you step it up just after the meter to 3/4" and tap in there?
If you use the 1/2" pipe you might not have enough water to run the heads. I've seen that set up where it could hardly run 3 maxi-paws with 70 lbs of pressure.
If you're only running a small amount of spray heads you might get away with it. I still recommend changing it.
As far a 3/4 or 1", I'd just use the 3/4 all the way.

ntran12

Thursday, May 11th 2017, 8:12am

I wouldn't tap into a 1/2" line to feed the sprinkler system. Can you step it up just after the meter to 3/4" and tap in there?
If you use the 1/2" pipe you might not have enough water to run the heads. I've seen that set up where it could hardly run 3 maxi-paws with 70 lbs of pressure.
If you're only running a small amount of spray heads you might get away with it. I still recommend changing it.
As far a 3/4 or 1", I'd just use the 3/4 all the way.

Thanks. Probably I was not clear in my description. No I will not connect to the 1/2". My plan is to tap right after the water meter, which is located in basement. I noticed that the pipe comes into my basement is 3/4, and the meter is 5/8. I will tap to the meter and run the pipe outside then connect it to 1" poly pipe as my mainline. I am located in NJ, so poly is used by most contractors here. My question is is there benefit (in term of flow and psi) of using 1" vs. 3/4" when tapping to the meter?

mrfixit

Friday, May 12th 2017, 1:54am

I don't think it'll make much of a difference at 25 feet. But for peace of mind maybe go with the 1" so you're not second guessing yourself after the job is done.

Rate this thread