You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ashane

Sunday, May 7th 2017, 9:28pm

Zone will not shut off

Hello all,

So, I've been searching this forum and others for tips and advice as to what to do here, and I think I'm at a loss. If anyone has any ideas that would be fantastic.

New house we purchased. 5 Zones. All use Hunter SRV valves, a Rainbird controller and all Rainbird heads. Connected to City water, and PVC pipes, no flexi tubing.

Worked fine the first year, but now Zone 2 which is 4 Rainbird heads will never shut off. When any other zone is on, the pressure is reduced to Zone 2 but they still spit out water. When the controller is in the off position, Zone 2 is fully on.

Figured it was a Valve problem, so we checked the valve and indeed it had been damaged.

What we have done:

Replaced Valve for Zone 2. Zone 2 still is auto on, never turning off.
Swapped Solenoid and Valve from Zone 5, to Zone 2. Zone 5 works fine, Zone 2 still auto on.

This prompted us to figure maybe obstruction in the flow somewhere, since we noticed when we took out the valve, the white plastic circle piece was damaged (missing about 1/4th of it) and we never did find that piece.

Flushed the system at the base, and at the heads. Still Zone 2 will not shut off. We measured all the Solenoids with a Volt Meter and all are fine, which leads me to believe the controller is fine.

If I had to guess, something is maybe stuck deeper in the line in Zone 2 and creating a back flow preventing the diaphragm from going down and blocking the flow of water? Is that possible?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

mrfixit

Sunday, May 7th 2017, 10:32pm

Take the bonnet off of the new valve and look to see if that white piece is stuck in there.

Did you install the new valve backwards?

Ashane

Monday, May 8th 2017, 4:34pm

Not that I can see nope.

New valve appears to be in correctly. The little 'nipple' for lack of a better word is where the solenoid connects.

I think perhaps I need to change out the entire valve? Perhaps the bottom is damaged and I cannot see it clearly?

I should have clarified we replaced only the guts and the top of the valve.

Rate this thread