You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

WanderingNunican

Unregistered

Monday, May 1st 2017, 10:50am

Drip and standard irrigation question

Hello!
I have been running calculations for my new sprinkler system and I have what seems to be a very basic question that is answered nowhere on the internet.
I have a one acre lawn and will be pumping from a lake with a 2HP pump through a 2" poly mainline about 200' long. After running the numbers on the head required, etc, I have determined my flow rate to be in the neighborhood of 35 GPM and should have 35PSI at the heads. This is great for my rotors, but I would like to add a drip line or two for landscaping.
Here is my issue... my pump is moving gallons per minute and my drip emitters run in the neighborhood of a gallon per hour. I would need 2100 1 gal/hr emitters on the drip zone to make up the volume of water I'm pumping. Obviously nobody would do this this so I'm in the wrong somewhere. I don't want the pump cycling on/off, nor do I really want to be running a 2hp pump for an hour to water my garden (wasting electricity).
I suppose I could run the drip zones at the same time as I run other zones to fix this, but like I said, there is nothing on the google machine about this and I don't want to build and learn that I'm wrong. Perhaps everybody just uses spray heads on wells since the water is free? If I was on city water this would be a no brainer.....
Thanks for any and all advice!
Brian

Rate this thread