You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

POTTERC32

Starting Member

Tuesday, April 11th 2017, 3:42pm

Vibrating or fast thumping sound while sprinkler system is running

Hello everybody. I have just had an irrigation system installed. Everything appears to operate as intended except for one thing. When it is running, you can hear a vibrating or thumping noise the whole time. It can be heard in almost every room in the house except for the rooms furthest away from the water inlet into the house. The rate of the thumping/vibrating noise is about 6-7 beats per second on 2 of the zones (a. 5000 series rainbird rotors X8 and 1800 rainbird sprays X2. b. 1800 rainbird sprays X9) and slows down to about 4-5 beats per second on the third zone (5000 rainbird rotors X5). The rate of the noise seems to be related to how much water is being used per zone. If I turn the curb stop half way off, the noise does slow down and gets much quieter.

I am running 1" pipe throughout the whole system. I have unplugged the controller and used the bleeder screw on the control valves, and it still makes the same noise. I have done a fair amount of research on this topic and have come up with 2 different potential solutions. Noisy water meter, and too much pressure for my system. Is there a good way to confirm that the water meter may be the problem? I do not currently have a good pressure gauge to hook up to the lines. If I were to entertain the idea of checking the pressure, I would probably just get a rainbird pressure regulator (40psi) and install it to rule that scenario out.

I have also heard of air in the lines causing the noise. I have tried removing the sprinklers from the ends, and running the water for a few minutes to push all the air out. Hooked everything up and it still made the noise the whole time.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and came up with a solution? My neighbor, who has a similar setup, has had this same issue since he moved in 6 years ago. He just deals with it.

Any input is helpful. If you have any questions, please ask!

Thank you!!

Rate this thread