You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

FlAuburnTiger

Starting Member

Monday, February 27th 2017, 5:41pm

6 mo old pump not holding prime, positive I've fixed all leaks

I just bought an Everbilt 1.5 HP pump 6 months ago; I pull from the canal behind my house. After the install, everything was fine for a while, I have a timer and 4 zones that go on automatically every other day. One day about a month ago, I noticed no water coming out when it was on. I would like to think I noticed it on the first cycle of no water coming out, possibly went through two cycles "dry".
I then proceeded to dig up intake pipe all the way down to the water, found a leak at a coupler and replaced the check valve that was leaking. I see no other signs of leaking.
Since then I have to prime pump each time, it will hold prime for about an hour or 2 1/2 zones, and then nothing anymore. Do I need to buy a new pump? Also scared new pump will run into same issue.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 1st 2017, 8:33am

Suction-side leaks will kill the pump performance. Check valves that don't seat cleanly, maybe because of particles in the water, will allow back flow and loss of prime. That you found one leak is an indication that there might be more. You might need to add more check valves. You might even need to add a strainer in the supply along a check valve downstream of it, just so you have one check valve not getting fouled with particles.

You might save yourself some headaches by swapping out your pump for a Goulds GT15, a cast-iron centrifugal 1.5 HP pump similar in performance to your Home Depot bargain pump. Inside the Goulds pump is special diaphragm that holds priming water inside the pump so it never is running dry.