You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gstef1244

Starting Member

Friday, February 17th 2017, 9:09am

Water Meter problems

Hi everyone. I am new but came across this site while trying to figure out what my problem with the water company. I just got stuck with a 1200.00 dollar water bill. While the sprinkler is not on, the meter works normal. However, once the sprinkler system starts, the meter shakes and spins out of control. Almost like it is ready to jump out of the ground. As soon as I shut it, the meter goes back to normal. According to the water department in 4 days I went through over 11,000 gallons of water. Where the water is I have no idea. Considering that is amount of water that makes up a pool, I should see signs of a water leak. There are no floods and the sprinklers work great with good pressure. I changed the 6 zone Octupus as I call it and it helped a bit. However, it is still not right. I also came to find out my neighbor next door is having the same problem. I have had a plumber, sprinkler guy out there and no one can figure out this problem. To me it seems that the water meter is not working . I am not an expert so was looking for opinions... Thanks so much. I am really upset with the large amount of money they want. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Gina

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, February 17th 2017, 11:18am

You should do some searches with the make and model number of your meter. Just by math alone, using 11,000 gallons of water in four days is not unusual for lawn sprinklers, since an inch of water covering one acre (a week's usage in many instances) is 27,000 gallons.

Rate this thread