You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

reitway

New Member

1

Thursday, February 2nd 2017, 4:22pm

Single Line Down Hill

Hi sprinkler guys.
I'm trying to water 8 fruit trees planted on a hillside with a simple system. Each tree is 20' apart straight downhill. I buried a straight 3/4" pvc pipe down the middle with 2 sprinkler heads at each set of trees (one pointing toward each tree). In diagram, x's are trees and exclamation points represent pipe. At top end of pipe, I put a hose connection so I can connect to my garden hose when I want to water the trees. At the bottom of the pipe I put a threaded cap so I can drain the pipe during winter. The problem is only the bottom sprinkler pops up part way. No others pop up at all -- I'm assuming due to lack of pressure. I'm pretty sure I have sufficient pressure from the home but I don't know what the downhill scenario adds. Should I have used 1/2" pipe for more pressure? Or should I 'T' each sprinkler head out toward the trees with 1/2" pipe to spread the pressure? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Luckily I tested it before I buried it so hopefully can be corrected. Thanks.

x ! x
!
x ! x
!
x ! x
!
x ! x

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Posts: 5,278

Location: Metro NYC

2

Saturday, February 4th 2017, 10:02am

Trade in the sprinklers for drip irrigation, and rework your calculations. Elevations are part of this, as one foot of elevation equals 0.43 psi. The odds are good that you can employ pressure compensating drip emitters to get identical water flows for each tree, regardless of elevation.

reitway

New Member

3

Monday, February 6th 2017, 12:59pm

Thanks for the info. I put in a spur to each tree with an adjustable 'mushroom' bubble head.
I can now adjust the flow at each so all get water. Works well.
Thanks again.

Similar threads

Rate this thread