You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

lorisuemiller

Unregistered

Tuesday, January 3rd 2017, 6:24pm

Indexing Valve Question - Four PVC Pipes Two Zones - What About the Other Two?

My husband and I bought a property that has an existing irrigation system that pulls water from the canal behind the house. It has a Hydrotek Indexing Valve. there are four PVC pipes going coming out of the bottom of the valve. Two go into the ground, and we think we have a two-zone system, so that fits. However, there are two more PVC pipes that come out of the bottom and then just lead back to the seawall to dump back into the canal. Our question is this . . . should those two have been capped? Is it possible that those two pipes are drain pipes - one from each zone? My husband thinks that water comes out of those pipes when he turns the system off. Does that seem feasible?
Also, we would like to build a vented bench over the pump and indexing valve. However, the pressure gauge is pretty high. Is it possible to cut the pipe to the pressure gauge and move the gauge down some? Or does the distance to the pressure gauge have something to do with how it works (meaning, it has to stay the way it is)?
I have a photo I could upload, but I'm not sure how.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, January 4th 2017, 10:41am

The usual method to have a 4-outlet indexing valve operate a 2-zone system is to change the internal indexing cam to a 2-zone cam. Yours is still operating with the original 4-zone cam. As for the pressure gauge, plumb it any way you care to, it doesn't matter.

lorisuemiller

Unregistered

Wednesday, January 4th 2017, 5:26pm

Indexing Valve Question - Four PVC Pipes Two Zones - What About the Other Two?

Thank you for your help. It looks like it does have a cam for two zones. The top of the indexing valve has a 1 and a 2, and the other two are not labeled. It sounds like we just need to cap the other two to keep lizards from climbing up there and getting smooshed in the cam. I appreciate the answer on the pressure gauge! Thank you.
The usual method to have a 4-outlet indexing valve operate a 2-zone system is to change the internal indexing cam to a 2-zone cam. Yours is still operating with the original 4-zone cam. As for the pressure gauge, plumb it any way you care to, it doesn't matter.

Rate this thread