You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

BG15

Starting Member

Saturday, November 26th 2016, 1:20pm

Sprinkler Banging Noisee

I was getting a loud banging noise inbetween one zone. Irrigation company came out and put a delay between zones. Didn't work. Then they rebuilt the backflow. Didn't work. Now they say the system is working with low pressure I need a water pressure booster. I don't want to spend any more money unless I know the fix will work.

Any idea's or thoughts?

Thank you.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, November 26th 2016, 3:02pm

You need to correlate the banging to the operation of the system. If there is a repetitive ground-thumping hammer as a zone opens, the system is overdrawing the water supply, and the zone valve becomes part of a pressure oscillation that makes the noises. Rebuilding the zone valve might stop the noise. Reducing the flow to the zone would be an even better solution.

Note - the delay between zones is a valid approach to prevent the situation where one zone is opening, before the previous one has closed completely.

Zone flow is probably at the heart of the noises. Less flow means less chance for trouble.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, November 30th 2016, 2:30pm

I have also seen this happen with worn out diaphragms.

If you can isolate the point in the irrigation system that this is happening and replace the diaphragms in the valves that cause the hammer.

It sounds like you have already isolated the valves because you had the irrigation company put a delay in.

Good Luck.

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:
LI0006121, BPAT0011021, CI0009500

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, December 1st 2016, 11:28am

Flow controls on zone valves can be throttled down, to reduce the surge of water into a zone, and reduce the chance of oscillation. Sometimes, a master valve with flow control can be added, when none of the zone valves have flow controls.

Rate this thread