You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

muchlearningtobedone

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 12th 2016, 4:45pm

Water on -> All Sprinklers on. Sprinkler control panel won't turn heads off.

I recently moved into a new house with a sprinkler system that I am verrrry slowly learning how to use. The basic problem is that when I turn on the water all the sprinklers turn on regardless of what is going on with my Rainbird control panel (sst600i seems to be the model number). I went into the valve box and removed the solenoids from each of the six valves one by one just to check them out and some water came out of each. One was pretty much spouting water at a seemingly constant rate so I took the bonnet off that one and adjusted the diaphragm. Anyways, after all that the problem still seems to be the same. I also went to the panel and turned on each zone to listen for a "click" and I could hear it at each one so it doesn't seem to be an electrical issue. I'm not sure how to add pictures but I do have some if it would help.
Does anyone have an idea of what i could try to get the thing under control?

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 13th 2016, 1:08am

Hi there. If you go to www.tinypic.com. Then upload your pics one at a time. Each time you'll have to cut and paste the forum code here and your pic will magically appear.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Wednesday, July 13th 2016, 3:46pm

Did you check to make sure all the bleeds are closed? Some people open the valve bleeds when they shut them down for the winter.

muchlearningtobedone

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 13th 2016, 10:34pm

muchlearningtobedone

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 13th 2016, 10:38pm

muchlearningtobedone

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 13th 2016, 10:46pm

I realize these are pretty bad pictures as I don't have a full on shot of the valve box but maybe its helpful to get an idea of what kind of system I am working with (I'll try to get a better shot tomorrow). The first is a bonnet I removed and is upside down so the diaphragm is up (I am not 100% confident in my use of these terms). Then a picture of the valve I took it off of. Then a picture of the solenoid upside down.
I'm not sure where the valve bleeds would be located. Any help on where I could find them?
Also, I realized today that one zone (the furthest from the valve box and I believe controlled by the valve at the bottom of the second picture) will shut off when not turned on from the panel. The others will not and that furthest zone has very little pressure when on. I'm guessing this is because the other zones will not turn off.
Thanks for the help with how to upload pictures by the way.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Thursday, July 14th 2016, 6:56am

This valves do not have external bleeds. That first picture looks like there is gravel or something on the underside of the diaphragm. Perhaps the valves need flushed and the diaphragms replaced.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 14th 2016, 9:42am

Check the solenoid operation while they are unscrewed from the valves, just so you know they're in good order.

Rate this thread