You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jp

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 6th 2016, 6:07am

Two valves coming on at same time Armada 700

I have two valves coming on at the same time. I rented the Armada 700 to find where the two zones wires are touching each other. How do I go about doing this with the Armada 700?

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 6th 2016, 12:27pm

What you are attempting to do can be very difficult even for a seasoned veteran. You'll probably dig a lot of holes trying to figure it out.

If the wires are in the ground with a nick to the cable then you might be able to use the Armada 700 to find it.
Read the manual.
If you scroll down to finding faults it says a nick in the wire will cause the signal to decrease.
But if you scroll down farther to helpful hints it says a nick in the wire will cause the signal to get louder.

So you need to listen for any change in the signal. Watch the meter closely and listen. It's very difficult to use one of these machines especialy if the wire changes in depth in the ground. The signal gets weaker the deeper it gets. It can trick you into thinking there's a problem there.

I would go with the advice of "helpful hints". Any change in the signal is a good place to look.

I'm assuming you've ruled out all possibilities that the problem is in the valve box or above ground. That's usually the case but not always. Sometimes the wires come apart at the valves and someone who doesn't know what to do just splices them back together incorrectly.

I find a lot of bare wires where they exit a wall.

Is there a spare wire you can use?

Maybe wire two valves together that don't have a lot of heads on the and seperate the two that are running now.

You could always use a doubler which will run two valves off of one wire.

Of course there's always running new wire.

Good luck!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 6th 2016, 1:13pm

There is a specialty tool known as a TDR (Time Domain Reflectometer) that can help you find electrical issues in system wiring, but it is expensive and has a learning curve.

What we have not read, about these two zones operating simultaneously, is that the wiring has been tested for resistance, and that a dead short was found between the two zone wires, their having been disconnected from the controller.

Rate this thread