You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tmhanser

Tuesday, July 5th 2016, 5:11pm

Lawn Genie Solenoid Doesn't Allow Full Pressure to Zone 1

This spring I replaced a faulty solenoid on a Lawn Genie valve, after purchasing it on Amazon:
Solenoid
Unfortunately, I get very little pressure (or flow?) to this zone with the solenoid open. The water only trickles out of each of the three heads and doesn't cover the grass at all.

What's wrong?

If I remove the solenoid entirely and run this zone in manual mode, I get the full amount of pressure out of each sprinkler head. (Yes, there is a small squirt of water jetting out of the hole where the solenoid goes.)

Is this solenoid defective? Or the wrong one entirely?

I don't see any indication of these solenoids being polarized, as each wire is the same color. Also, the bleed valve is closed and the flow control is fully open (counter-clockwise.)

Last week I carefully took the valve apart to look for debris - nothing. It went back together again with no problems.

Any help here?

Thanks.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jul 5th 2016, 6:41pm)

mrfixit

Tuesday, July 5th 2016, 6:39pm

It's probably the diaphragm.
What model valve is it?

tmhanser

Tuesday, July 5th 2016, 7:12pm

Valve is a Lawn Genie 3/4" valve, anti-siphon model 54000...? The only numbers on the "jar lid" is 10011990.

Looks like this, only without the knob on the flow control:

https://www.amazon.com/Genie-54000-Anti-Siphon-Valve-Control/dp/B000A287DA

I just took it apart a couple weeks ago, and the diaphragm looked good to me, but what do I know? :)

The Lawn Genie store doesn't seem to be working too well, as I'm not able to register or purchase anything. And I just ordered another solenoid from Amazon - while troubleshooting this valve today the center piece (plunger?) fell out of the solenoid into a mess of clover and I can't retrieve it. So, everything is on hold until I can get the new solenoid in the mail.

Do you suggest replacing the diaphragm? Where can I obtain this part?

Thanks so much.

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 6th 2016, 2:12am

I'm sorry you spent all that money on solenoids.

This valve 2711APR is compatible with your valve. All the parts will swap out. You could just go to an irrigation supply store such as John Deere or SiteOne or Hydroscape.
Just buy a 2711APR valve and swap out all the parts.

Or just cut the old one off and glue the new one on.

If you want you can just buy the diaphragm for the 2711APR but you need to be careful. The 2711DPR diaphragm looks very similar to the APR but it wont work and I've had them at the store hand me the wrong ones on more than one occasion. Just make sure the hole in the middle is the same size. The DPR's hole is bigger and you can tell just by looking at it.

I can't guarantee the diaphram will cure you so I'd go with the whole valve.

tmhanser

Wednesday, July 6th 2016, 12:06pm

Thank you so much, Mr Fixit!

Rate this thread