You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tom2722

Thursday, June 30th 2016, 7:50pm

What is this part? + dead system

Hello,

I had my irrigation system serviced this spring. The techs did something with the wiring and now the all zones fail to turn on. What I've checked -

* Opened the covers on all green boxes, visually inspected wiring/wire nuts for disconnects (no trouble found)
* Swapped out controller with a known good controller (No zones will activate still - existing controller passed self tests)
* Hooked up an olm/volt meter and checked input voltage (27.1 volts - looks good)
* Checked voltage output on all zones - Possible trouble noted. If I activate a single zone - all zones test with ~27 volts going though at the controller!
I checked the resistance on all zones by unhooking the red for each zone and black wire for common - all zones test infinity.

I suspect a wiring issue but I'm not 100% sure. I also found these parts inside a green box in my yard. I have no idea what these white plastic parts are :S ... hoping an expert on here can tell me what they are.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance. :) :)

mrfixit

Friday, July 1st 2016, 3:45am

Yep sounds like the wiring's messed up.
You say when you turn on one station all the station have 27V. Well that's not right obviously. Try this, Disconnect one of the zone valve wires at the controller. Now turn one zone on and test the empty terminal. I bet it shows 0. Now check the disconnected wire. I bet it shows 27V.
That means the powers going down the activated zone wire and back up the disconnected wire.
You need to go where he fiddled with the wiring and figure what he did wrong.
Maybe you can post a pic of the wiring on the controller and where he worked on it.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jul 1st 2016, 12:09pm)

Tom2722

Friday, July 1st 2016, 8:53pm

Thanks MrFixIt... Correct - tonight I confirmed power is going down the activated zone wire and back up the ALL disconnected zones/red wires. The irrigation company that serviced the system in May was at my home for ~8 hours, dug around all green boxes, replaced valves, some wiring, wire nuts and gave me a bill for nearly $1000. I disputed it because nothing was wrong with my system before they came out for "Spring startup". I really don't want to call these jokers back - they give the irrigation trade a BAD reputation. The system did work fine after they left however.

Is it possible a solenoid in somewhere failed and is causing the issue? Do they fail in such a manner like this? The next step I was thinking was to attempt the 'three 9V battery' test by going to each zone, disconnecting it from the controller and seeing if it clicks and activates with the batteries. ?(

Also - any idea what the pictures I took represent? Are these wire connectors or something else?

Thanks !!
Tom

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 1st 2016, 9:09pm

make that two 9-volt batteries in series as a test power source

mrfixit

Friday, July 1st 2016, 11:41pm

Yep don't call them back. You say it worked fine after they left so if they had wired it wrong the problem would have shown itself right away. Somehow ALL of the wires are connected to each other. All but the common that is.
Do any digging lately?
Could be the wires are above ground and the sun rotted the casing off and all the wires are bare and touching somehow. Look around. Look where the wires exit a wall.
Do you have a gardener that might have fiddled with it?
Sometimes they'll whack the heck out of wires with their weed eater and just put them back together.

Yes the things in the box are grease caps to keep the wires waterproof. There's a valve in there too.

Rate this thread