You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rbc

Friday, May 20th 2016, 4:01pm

Proline 1600 MVP short

Worked OK last year after I replaced controller. This year I get MVP short. I have large 240 pump from lake. I have replaced pump start relay that is started with 24V and sends 240 to pump. If I open up relay and push in contactors, pump runs. I have ohmed all 24v wiring from controller to start relay OK. The zones test OK with controller multimeter test. When I run manual zone test I get immediate fault then go to advanced functions and see MVP short.
What am I missing??
thanks
RBC

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 20th 2016, 9:24pm

Your typical solid state controller can 'see' a pump relay as a short-circuited solenoid. You need a different relay, with a lower current draw.

rbc

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 6:36am

It is the same type of relay that was installed in the system 8 years ago.
RBC

rbc

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 6:39am

does anyone know if the proline 1600 continues to send 24 volts after it has flagged MVP short?
Should I see the 24 volts at pump start relay after fault?
Trying to figure out if it is another bad relay.
R

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 7:47am

It is the same type of relay that was installed in the system 8 years ago.
RBC
You said it was a new controller. The new controller has no obligation to exactly duplicate the performance of the old controller. If you supply us with the makes and models of both old and new controllers, it might be seen that they do not have the same specs. Cheaper controllers are known for not matching the output power of more expensive controllers.

rbc

Sunday, May 22nd 2016, 6:13pm

Both Proline 1600, and system worked for awhile last year on new controllor before I shut it down for winter.

rbc

Sunday, May 29th 2016, 9:01am

Just an update. Problem fixed.
After ohming all wires from controller to pump relay OK. I purchased another style relay ( same specs as original just different manf.) and all is OK. Returned other new relay for refund. Local irrigation place said they won't sell these because of all the problems with them. I would recommend to not use contactor relay by Packard.
RBC