You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

derekbess

Unregistered

Sunday, May 8th 2016, 6:13pm

Installed new controller and cannot control individual zones

Hello,

I recently purchased a new home and have been having a ton of issues with the sprinkler system. When I first bought the home, the well pump wouldn't work, my brother and I pulled the pump and it spun off the pipe, simple fix and for about a month the sprinkler system worked well.

Last week, my rainbird controller box start spitting out errors, I called rainbird and they stated the model was old and needed to be replaced. I got a new outside controller and installed it today and now I am unable to control individual zones. I wired it up exactly how the old controller was wired, I took notes and put labels on all of the wires before installing.

Now when I manually turn on the sprinklers, all zones turn on when no matter which zone I choose, except nothing ever comes out of zone 4. I went out to the valves and I can manually turn on each individual zone by tweaking the valves. I'm at a loss here. Another odd thing is that they had a jumper from zone 3 to zone 4 on the old box but perhaps that is how they are able to control zone 4, I'm no expert lol.

Advice would greatly be appreciated. I spent all day out there trying to get the system to work properly, I'm at a loss.

derekbess

Unregistered

Sunday, May 8th 2016, 6:15pm

Sorry, one more thing I forgot to mention. I also set the schedule to see if each zone would turn on automatically but what happens is that when zone 1 turns on the pump relay, all of the zones turn on (except 4). When zone one finishes, the pump relay turns off for zones 2-4, so nothing comes out of the sprinklers because the pump isn't getting power.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 9th 2016, 5:11am

This sounds like operator error, so go back to square one and check your wiring with resistance measurements, and try to run one zone at a time by way of connecting one wire at a time to the controller output.

derekbess

Unregistered

Monday, May 9th 2016, 7:13am

HI there, I just double checked all the wiring and everything is setup how it was with the old controller. None of the zones work unless zone 1 is plugged into the controller. From the looks of it, zone 1 is the master valve and without it plugged in, none of the zones work.

derekbess

Unregistered

Monday, May 9th 2016, 8:00pm

Alright, so I had some time to play around with the system this evening. I have narrowed it down to zone one having a bad solenoid. After looking at some youtube videos, I noticed that whoever owned this house before me did not have the controller setup properly.

I found that the white wire is actually the common wire and black and pink wires are coming from the pump relay. I put the wires from pump relay into common and master and put the white wire in common. From there, I manually ran the system and without any zones plugged in, the front and side zone were constantly running. I took the red white and touched zone 1 and the controller spit out a no A/C error.

I reset the controller, ran manually and took blue wire to zone one and the zone turned on no errors, did the same with the yellow wire, no errors. When I touched the red wire it spit out the no a/c error, so I suspect that's why zone one is always running.

I checked the valve that is connected to the red wire and noticed it was leaking and the others were not, I hit the nozzle to rule out that maybe it was gunked up and it wasn't. Tomorrow, I will get a resistance meter and check the resistance on the solenoid, which according to rainbird that error states it's bad solenoid.

I hope this helps anyone who has run into the same issue.

Rate this thread