You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mark2457

Sunday, May 1st 2016, 7:03pm

28 x 24 foot grass area (first system)

Hi Guys

Living just north of Chicago. I bought a house last summer and with summer approaching this year, I got to thinking about my back yard and the hassle of trailing hoses and sprinkler devices around.

While googling lawn sprinklers, I found out how inexpensive a DIY in-ground system is. I'm considering something simple like anti siphon valves and a few rotors like rain bird 42SA+ or 3504P.

Initially, I want to focus on the lawn (as the shrub areas will be replanted later. I will run some hose there ready for those)

I have a 2-foot deep trench dug for cables (from the house to garage down middle of lawn area) and will use for sprinkler lines too if possible. I will connect the timer to the hose bib where I have 40PSI and 12GPM (planning to use eco-lock 1" for main line and laterals and then 1/2 funny pipe's to heads). I'm figuring 1 zone for the lawn. I was thinking about diagonally opposite corners starting right next to house and garage respectively and a 90-degree arc.

I then read the it's not a good idea to have rotors right next to a building, and they should really be 3 feet away for both aesthetics and to avoid water damage (my porch is above a crawlspace on a slab and garage is on a slab). So I figured i would make an area 3 foot in front of each structure (labelled "Shrubs?" in diagram) which would eventually have a few shrubs and be covered in bark and edged with bricks. These would also hide the above ground anti-siphon valves too. So this is my first idea:

The more I read about design of sprinklers it seems having them on the same side of the lawn with 100% sprinkler to sprinkler coverage is probably as good, if not better. Seems more conventional, needs less pipe, and keeps everything on one side of the lawn. (I will run hose in the trench I've dug in case I need in future fro shrubs/plants at back of garage.

I did buy a 42SA+ and Jerry-rigged a stand from PVC pipe. The rotor can easily hit the garage so I can make it land just in front of, or on, the areas marked "Shrubs?". (The door at the back of the garage is mainly for aesthetics so it looks a bot more like coach-house than a garage and it reduces the joins in the siding)

Could anyone comment on the two designs?

Does 1-inch pipe seems excessive given it's connect to a regular hose bib.

Thanks in advance

mark

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 2nd 2016, 5:54pm

The second design is better. Use the 42sa heads, which will have low-angle nozzles that might be useful, especially when you want to minimize wind drift of the spray pattern.

Quoted from "mark2457"

Can you get slow closing valves that would reduce/eliminate risk of water hammer? If so, could you recommend models? I need anti-siphon models for above ground
Use Irritrol 2711APR or 2713APR antisyphon valves for reliable operation and soft closing.

{I moved the questions you posted on the 8-yr-old threads to here, so you get one-stop shopping}

Rate this thread