You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

spoonula

Starting Member

Sunday, April 24th 2016, 5:10pm

Is something wrong with my system?

My wife and I bought a house last fall with an irrigation system. I have never had one of these before so this is all new to me and I'm curious about a few things I've noticed.

We moved into our house in September and almost immediately had the system winterized. Yesterday, I opened up the valves and let water back into the system. I ran each zone for a minute in the controller's manual run just to check things out, and everything looked fine.

I left the controller plugged in (it had been unplugged all winter), but kept the dial off, as I have not set the time. I do believe there is a program from last year programmed in, but I figured if I kept the dial off I could worry about this in the next couple days.

Potential problem number 1:
My wife and I were sitting outside at about 10 pm last night, and zone 1 turned on. I ran to the garage and unplugged the controller. The water stopped, but for some reason I get the feeling that the water was already stopping before I unplugged the controller. The dial was definitely in the off position.

Potential problem number 2:
This freaked me out, so I shut the water to the irrigation off inside the house. In the morning, I turned it back on to see if any water would run back into the pipes (in case there was a leak or maybe a valve opened up again). Sure enough, some water ran into the irrigation system, but only for about 1 second, so it couldn't have been very much water. I tried another experiment where I left the water shut off for just a few hours, and then turned it back on. I got the same result: the water runs, but only for about a second. I had the water on to the system for several hours yesterday and I saw no signs of leakage in the yard. Is this kind of behavior normal or do I have a small small leak somewhere? If I do have a leak, what should I do? As I said, I wouldn't even know where to begin since I don't see saturated soil or anything like that.

Thank you for your help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 1st 2016, 4:48pm

You really need to leave the water turned on and the controller plugged in. Just log the time of an unexpected zone opening and what, if anything the controller is displaying while the zone is on.

There are instances where a sudden drop in water pressure can lead to a sprinkler valve opening.

Rate this thread