You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Starting Member


Wednesday, April 6th 2016, 10:34pm

Tap Into Copper and Line to Stop and Waste

Here is my situation, I've got a 1" copper line heading into my house. I had to dig about 5 feet down to get to and then tunnel about two feet under my concrete steps leading to my front door. So the pipe basically goes right under the steps. I have a brass compression tee to tie into the line, I am comfortable with doing that. I was planning on going from the tee to a stop and waste valve to a backflow preventer. My question is how should I get from the tee to the stop and waste. I need to travel about 2 or 3 feet to out from under the steps. The compression tee is 1" female that I need to connect this line to. If I transition to PVC for those two feet, I am worried about the strength of the connection when I turn the valve. Ideally I would have two brass nipples on either side of the valve to add some strength and rigidity. Is the strength of the connection something I even need to worry about? I can't afford to buy a 3 foot brass nipple. Alternatively, could I stick a male copper adapter on the tee and just solder a 3 foot piece of 1" copper? What about galvanized to bring it out from under the steps? How would I keep that connection from corroding if I were to use galvanized? I'll eventually go to galvanized anyway to connect to the backflow preventer, so I need to figure out how to make that transition regardless. Any help and advice would be much appreciated. And remember this will all be 5 feet underground so I want to avoid digging it up again this decade (or the next).


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,331

Location: Metro NYC


Sunday, April 10th 2016, 11:39am

Use only waterworks-quality compression fittings and valves and copper pipe no thinner than type L. These fittings are brand names like Ford, Mueller, A. Y. McDonald. None of this stuff is cheap, but it comes from the industry that buries waterlines as deep or deeper than you plan to.

Rate this thread