You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mike M.

Starting Member

Wednesday, February 10th 2016, 6:46pm

Solenoid question

My solonoids were badly deteriorated and leaking. I ordered replacements from a large supplier. He identified my valves as Irritrol 205 series. He sent me Champion ES-R811 "universal" replacements. I installed them and tested each zone - everything seemed OK.
Last night they came on at the scheduled time. This AM the street in front of my house was flooded. The # 1 zone ran for approx 7 hours. It never advanced through the other zones. The controller would not turn off the water. I had to turn off the master valve at the street. When I later tried to troubleshoot using the controller, it would allow me to advance from zone to zone, but not turn off the water. All kinds of strange noise coming from the valve manifold - like the valves couldn't make up their mind if they should be open or closed. Again, I had none of these issues before I replaced the solonoids. Any ideas ? Thanks ! Mike M.

mrfixit

Wednesday, February 10th 2016, 8:28pm

If 7 hours went by before you noticed the flooding then how do you know it didn't advance past zone number 1?

I'm thinking there's an internal problem with zone 1 and it stayed on during the complete cycle.

Maybe if you turn the flow control down a bit it'll shut off. You don't want the flow controls all the way open because a valve can stick on if you do. It's not guarateed to stick on but on occasion it will.

205 valves are simple to repair. I would take it apart and inspect the diaphragm. It probably needs replacing or there's debris inside the valve keeping it from closing.

I've never seen the solenoid in question in person but I would unscrew the solenoid and inspect the plunger to see if it's stuck open.

Maybe pull that plunger retainer off and toss it out. It doesn't do anything but keep the plunger from falling out when you unscrew it.
That is if it comes off like the 811 solenoid's does.

What if you put one of the old solenoids back on and see if it shuts off.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Feb 10th 2016, 11:47pm)

DIYGUY

Starting Member

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 5:43pm

Soleniod question

Do I need to turn off the water at the street before attempting to fix a solenoid?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 31st 2016, 6:47pm

You have to shut off the system supply before any valve service, including solenoid replacement.

Rate this thread