You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

donna

Saturday, February 6th 2016, 2:47pm

Controller not advancing to second station (clock and timer do work)

Hello,

I have a old peg system controller - Superior Controls #1101 which has been working just fine until recently. The clock and timer still work. The controller starts the first zone at the proper time but it won't advance to the second zone and just keeps running. I been trouble shooting and don't believe it is a value issue. I believe it was damaged in a power surge. I opened up the box and looked for a fuse but did not see one. I even tested the controller to start automatically at other stations and it just won't go past the first one or shut down the first one.

Any ideas if this is a simple fix. I don't have money right now to buy even a cheap newer controller. Especially since I would most likely have to get help installing it. Plus, frankly, I really like the simplicity of this system. I live in Southern California and we are currently only allowed to water once a week right now. I've been using the manual setting to do so while I buy time figuring this out.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

mrfixit

Sunday, February 7th 2016, 1:31am

Does station number 1 shut off or does it keep running?

Can you hear the timer trying to go to station 2 and it's stuck or do you hear nothing?

Can you manually turn the clock a bit when it's stuck on 1 and will it then go to 2?

Try turning the time on 1 to 0 minutes and see if it goes to 2.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, February 7th 2016, 1:50pm

Stay with the manual watering for now. There is no easy inexpensive alternative.

Behind that attractive simplicity you enjoy with that controller are some very costly components. Once they go bad, it becomes so expensive to repair that controller, that you simply buy a solid-state controller and join the modern age.

How many zones are in the sprinkler system?

mrfixit

Sunday, February 7th 2016, 8:17pm

Maybe it's just a broken O-ring on the number 1 dial. Cost about a buck.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, February 8th 2016, 10:57am

A photo(s) of the controller would be useful. Superior made their own controllers, but they did sell at least one re-labeled controller from another manufacturer.

Superior no longer supports the old motorized controllers, and given that the cost of setting up shop to be a service center for them would exceed ten thousand dollars, no one is jumping at the opportunity.

donna

Monday, February 8th 2016, 6:11pm

@mrfixit - Station #1 just runs on and does not shut off.
I do not hear it trying to move on to station #2.
When I turn the clock manually to station #2 it does starts station #2 but will get stuck there and not proceed on its own. It takes me forcing it into the station #2 position for it too start.
I did turn off station #1 to test if it will start at station #2 automatically. It does but then gets stuck and doesn't proceed towards station #3 automatically.

@Wet Boots - I am running 6 stations although he controller has room for more.

Here is a photo:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOQ…VNkSXdKVm9QdTln

Thanks for your help!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Feb 8th 2016, 9:17pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, February 8th 2016, 9:30pm

That is a deluxe version of the Superior electromechanical (motorized) controller. It will end up costing hundreds to repair, and you might have to be without the controller for awhile, if it makes it to a good repair shop that might want to have it go through a few cycles before calling it good to go. If you wonder why a controller would be worth all that trouble, just look what some of these plastic-enclosure equivalent controllers sell for

So, for the money, you would enter the 21st Century and go with a simple solid state controller like a Hunter X-Core, which is their entry-level controller that lacks nothing in comparison to the Superior that you now have, even though it will look like a toy in comparison to that big metal box.

There are numerous video tutorials on the programming of the new controllers, so that step need not worry you.

mrfixit

Monday, February 8th 2016, 9:40pm

The switch that tells the motor to advance the wheel is probably bad. I'm sure Boots will chime in with exact terminology.

Six station controllers are fairly cheap. Maybe it's time for a new one. Unless you really like the one you have now it might be time to swap it out. Some sprinkler guys will have lots of used parts laying around. If you have to call someone to install the new controller maybe he'll swap out that switch. I know I would. Ask them on the phone if they have parts.

Go for the Hunter Pro-C. You can get a 6 station or a 4 station and expand it to 7 with a module. Now that I think about it go for the expandable Pro-C controller. I had a problem with the Pro-C Conventional with the doors not staying shut with the outdoor model even with the door locked. Indoor model's ok.

So what I'm saying is, Get the Pro-C and a 3 station module.

Click on this

The three items at the top of the page are what you're looking at. Indoor, Outdoor and the module.

Or the indoor PCC

With indoor controllers you'll have a transformer that plugs into the wall. With outdoor controllers you'll need to buy a pigtail

donna

Tuesday, February 9th 2016, 12:29pm

@mrfitit and @Wet Boots - thanks for all your help! I had no idea these old peg system sprinklers cost more than a new electronic one! When I had some work done years ago on my sprinklers, that company swapped out a smaller station system for this one. It's been a work horse! And, I really enjoyed the simplicity of it. But, I guess it is time to move on...

Rate this thread