You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jsbeckton

Friday, October 30th 2015, 4:52pm

Contracting Trenching

I have seen many articles about installation that say you can hire someone to do the trenching for you. I have contacted about 3-4 installers about just doing the trenching alone and none of them offer anything but full design and installation services. Is this common or will some companies just do the trenching part if I lay it all out?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, October 30th 2015, 8:19pm

It is far more common to hire someone to bury polyethylene tubing with a vibratory plow.

but this all depends on your location - {hint - change your user profile to include your location}

jsbeckton

Tuesday, November 3rd 2015, 6:45am

Profile updated.

I actually contacted them about both (trenching/plow). Two companies said they only do full installs and two never got back to me at all. Anyone know if somebody in the Pittsburgh area that does this?

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Tuesday, November 3rd 2015, 8:44am

An installer would have to take a machine and one or two guys away from a crew to do this for you. If there are still installs to be done, there is pressure to finish them up before the season is over. Larger companies often do work for builders and there is a big push at the end of the year. You might try looking for some smaller companies whose season is basically over and are looking for more revenue. They may be knee-deep in blow-outs though.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, November 4th 2015, 10:17am

You really want to go with pipe pulling in colder climates. Far less harm to an existing lawn. Vibratory plows are not easy to find as rental machines, so you need an operator, and as already mentioned here, they may have more profitable work to do.

jsbeckton

Monday, November 9th 2015, 6:41am

So you are saying that I really need to go with pipe pulling but also that I likely won't be able to rent a machine or find anyone to do it? Not sure where that leaves me as I would much rather rent a trencher and reseed trenches for a few hundred bucks rather than pay several thousand for someone to do the whole job just to get the plow. I guess the articles that say you can easily contract out the trench work and do the rest yourself are just misinformed.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, November 9th 2015, 8:34am

Strictly for the money, you rent a machine and do the work yourself. It will be very unlikely that machine will be a plow, as they are expensive machines that can be tricky to operate, and are used only part of the year, which is why a rental yard may never stock a plow.

Rate this thread