You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

erist

Starting Member

Tuesday, October 6th 2015, 10:55am

sprinkler wont turn off unless i close the main valve

I have 5 Hardie 311A-.75 valves controlled by an Orbit controller for watering the backyard. In the initial sprinkler setup, the main water line for the backyard valves was coming from the kitchen.

When we had water softener installed a couple of days ago, the plumber installed a line from the front to the irrigation valves in the back to bypass softened water from the kitchen. The day after the installation, the yard started getting watered at the correct time but it never stopped watering. I have closed the main valve and then removed the bonnet and diaphragm assembly and cleared out the pipes thinking that it might be dirt or other debris from the new pipe installation. Now, whenever I open the main valve all the stations start watering even when I turn the Orbit controller to off.

Any ideas on what might be causing this issue? Would changing the valves fix the issue? Or, it some thing else?

Thanks,
Eric

mrfixit

Tuesday, October 6th 2015, 3:29pm

Your first instinct was a good one. I've seen many times where a plumber gets debris into the line and a valve wont shut off.
Was there debris in the line?

The valves in question should shut off. They're also very old. You should look into changing them no matter what the cause is.

It's possible the problem is the controller. Try unplugging it and see if they shut off.

You could try turning the flow controls down a bit or off and see what happens.

If you swap out the valves, take note of how far apart the ports are. That's where the pipes enter the valve. In your case the ports are closer together than most valves sold today. You should buy the same valves you have installed now. They're about twice the price of most plastic valves but they're also the top of the line plastic valves.

Orbit makes a valve which will fit on there but they have a design flaw. The plastic seat on those valves have a tendency to crack and you'll once again have a valve that wont shut off.

When you swap out the valves, flush the line again. Get the debris out.

I came back to ask if you turned the solenoids to flush out debris? Turn them back off.

Rate this thread