You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

F260SS

Friday, September 25th 2015, 6:30pm

Zone not getting voltage but resistance is 27 ohms

I have a valve that will not come on. I am not getting voltage at the valve wires but when I test resistance I get 27ohms. I also checked the solenoid and am getting 27 ohms with the wires disconnected. I have used a 521 locator to trace the wire and couldn't find any obvious breaks. This is really confusing because I can't figure out why the resistance looks good but not getting any voltage at the valve.

Thanks,

Bill

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Friday, September 25th 2015, 11:19pm

You are getting 27 ohms from the controller? Are you sure you are not getting voltage at the valve, or is the valve just not activating? Have you tried activating the valve with a valve actuator?

F260SS

Saturday, September 26th 2015, 8:49am

Yes, I'm getting 27 ohms at the controller. Yes I'm sure I'm not getting voltage at the valve. I am getting 24 volts at the controller but nothing at the valve. I haven't tried to open the valve with another source. I am going to run a wire out from the controller tomorrow and see if it will open. (had to buy a spool of wire to reach) I think I have a damaged wire in the ground but don't know how to find where it is damaged. I traced the wire all the way from where it exits the garage to the valve box and it seems okay.

Thanks,

Bill

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, September 26th 2015, 9:43am

Before you waste the wire that you might still be able to return, why not switch zone wires at the controller?

F260SS

Sunday, September 27th 2015, 9:52am

Already tried that. It's not a problem with the controller it's in the wire that runs to the valve.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, September 28th 2015, 12:54pm

Sometimes, we see faults that still allow measurements, but not valve operation, which requires more current. Have you confirmed that the solenoid in question still operates?

Evergreen Sprinkler

Wednesday, October 7th 2015, 11:03am

Maybe it is a problem with the valve itself. The diaphragm could be bad. Some valves that are a reverse flow will fail closed when the diaphragm has a hole in it.

Rate this thread