You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

aerodan1

Tuesday, September 22nd 2015, 10:37pm

Copper to poly connection

Hi,

A basic question but want to make sure I get it right. What would be the best way to connect the copper pipe (after the backflow) to the poly pipe I will use for the irrigation main? The copper has a FPT 90 at the end. Would a copper / brass MPT x copper fitting work best? I assume not a good idea to use a PVC MPT x insert fitting. Thanks

Dan

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Wednesday, September 23rd 2015, 7:18am

Unless you have a master valve before the poly, I wouldn't recommend using it as mainline. But if you're committed to it, the PVC connector will work fine. I'd recommend extending the copper out from the house about 3 feet.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 23rd 2015, 11:27am

RE: Copper to poly connection

Hi,

A basic question but want to make sure I get it right. What would be the best way to connect the copper pipe (after the backflow) to the poly pipe I will use for the irrigation main? The copper has a FPT 90 at the end. Would a copper / brass MPT x copper fitting work best? I assume not a good idea to use a PVC MPT x insert fitting. Thanks

Dan
Why are you not using a master valve? (use of one renders your question moot, since your copper would end with male threads connecting to a master valve {unless you choose to use MPT x Barb master/zone valves})

aerodan1

Wednesday, September 23rd 2015, 1:51pm

RE: RE: Copper to poly connection

I am using a master valve actually. The master has a FPT (Hunter ICV-101G), so it looks like a PVC MPT x MPT (like a close nipple) would be good then. I was planning to tap into the master a few feet downstream of the copper / poly connection, but it probably makes sense to just connect where it meets the copper. Thanks both for your help.

Hi,

Dan
Why are you not using a master valve? (use of one renders your question moot, since your copper would end with male threads connecting to a master valve {unless you choose to use MPT x Barb master/zone valves})

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, September 23rd 2015, 3:48pm

I would echo a previous post and bring the copper out a few feet from the foundation, and thus keep the strongest material in the area where there is often settling soil near a house with a basement. You might as well keep it all copper and brass upstream of the master valve.

aerodan1

Wednesday, September 23rd 2015, 5:50pm

Got it, thank you very much.
I would echo a previous post and bring the copper out a few feet from the foundation, and thus keep the strongest material in the area where there is often settling soil near a house with a basement. You might as well keep it all copper and brass upstream of the master valve.

SunCoLawns

Advanced Member

Thursday, September 24th 2015, 7:20am

Remember though, if you are in an area subject to freezing, the mainline before the master valve will not drain unless the master valve is left open.
Copper --> Tee with auto-drain --> Master valve

aerodan1

Thursday, September 24th 2015, 9:08am

Yes, I will blow out the lines by connecting to a hose bib upstream of the master valve, and then have a boiler drain for upstream of the PVB.
Remember though, if you are in an area subject to freezing, the mainline before the master valve will not drain unless the master valve is left open.
Copper --> Tee with auto-drain --> Master valve