You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wiredupdr

Monday, September 7th 2015, 9:24pm

Leaking sprinkler head

I recently purchased this home in February 2015 and have been fighting some very soggy areas around several sprinkler heads. This is a low area where I believe the zone is draining. Attached is a picture of the head after turning off the system. Is the head bad or do I need another kind of head that won't drain after turning it off?
wiredupdr has attached the following file:

mrfixit

Monday, September 7th 2015, 11:08pm

The valve which controls that area probably isn't shutting off all the way.
Repair or replace the valve.

wiredupdr

Tuesday, September 8th 2015, 7:41am

Leaking sprinkler head

The valve which controls that area probably isn't shutting off all the way.
Repair or replace the valve.

This is the only head of 5; also, this head blows a lot of air when I start up the system. If the valve was bad, wouldn't i see this on all the heads?

mrfixit

Tuesday, September 8th 2015, 2:05pm

All I know is you said you had a lot of soggy spots. Either you're over watering or there's a 24 hour a day leak. Are the soggy spots in the shade?
If it was just low head drainage then usually only one spot would be soggy.
You could install sprinklers with check valves in them to avoid drainage.

Yes the lowest head is draining all the water out of the line and you'll have a lot of air when the system first starts up.
It's hard to tell from here. You'll need to figure out if the valve isn't shutting off 100%.

wiredupdr

Tuesday, September 8th 2015, 3:47pm

All I know is you said you had a lot of soggy spots. Either you're over watering or there's a 24 hour a day leak. Are the soggy spots in the shade?
If it was just low head drainage then usually only one spot would be soggy.
You could install sprinklers with check valves in them to avoid drainage.

Yes the lowest head is draining all the water out of the line and you'll have a lot of air when the system first starts up.
It's hard to tell from here. You'll need to figure out if the valve isn't shutting off 100%.

Mr Fixit --
My apologies - you are right when i said several soggy spots. I failed to mention it was in different zones. I think you hit it - check valves in the sprinkler heads! That's what I recall... Thank you!

I have Rainbird rotors; what do you recommend for rotors with check valves?
Best, Jason

mrfixit

Wednesday, September 9th 2015, 4:07am

I like to match whatever is already installed.
I'd buy the same model sprinkler you have now but with a built in check valve.
Rainbird Rotors
Look for SAM's or Seal A Matic. = built in check valve.

Rate this thread