You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

aerodan1

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 28th 2015, 2:53pm

Valve manifolds

Hi,

I was wondering what the best practices would be for manifolding of control valves. I am doing a sprinkler system at my house and working with a consultant, who thinks I will probably end up with 10 - 11 zones at the end. He advised having single valves for several areas of the yard, saying that it would save some pipe and that it can be difficult to work inside manifold boxes. I don't like the idea of sprinkling my yard with random valve box covers. I'd like to stick to 3 or 4 boxes (one for each side and front and back for example), some of which I can put in flower beds also. I read somewhere it's good to leave 6 inches between valves in order to have room to work in the box, any thoughts? Thanks

Dan

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 29th 2015, 5:01am

It's your sprinkler system. Make him do it the way you want. If his only complaints are you'll save pipe and the boxes are too hard to work in then make him do it your way. It's no big deal digging up a valve box to work on the valves. Call someone else for repairs.

I always like to leave enough room between the tees on the manifold so in case one of the fittings needs replacing someday I can glue on a coupling then a tee and have the new tee in the same spot as the old one. I also leave enough pipe between the fitting and the valve so I can cut out the valve and glue on a new one if need be.

aerodan1

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 29th 2015, 6:50pm

Thanks for helping confirm my thought, I'll just make sure to leave enough room between valves and fittings to get in there and make repairs if needed.

Rate this thread