You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Buchanan

Wednesday, July 15th 2015, 11:31am

Can I connect valves to 2 controllers?

I live on a variable level lake. I would like to have 2 sources of water, one when the lake is high and another for when the lake is low. My system has only 2 valves. Can I connect separate controllers to the valves to use when the water level changes? Or do I need to disconnect one controller/pump and connect the other when I want to switch?
Thanks!

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 18th 2015, 2:15pm

Our shop system is setup very similar. Utilizing a pump to draw water from a collection pond when full, and a city water supply when empty.
There is no need for a separate controller. Shutoff valves are all that are required. Install one upstream of the pump to close when using city supply. You will already have shutoffs on the bacflow preventer you will need to install, which can be closed while using the pump. You will have to remember to turn off electrical supply to pump when not using it.
The real trick is match the performance of the pump with a city supply.

Buchanan

Sunday, July 19th 2015, 3:21pm

2 Pumps

Thanks for your help. :thumbup:
We have 2 systems in place now. 2 controllers, 2 pumps, 2 inlet lines to the valves - with ball valves on the inlet lines.
So just turn off power to the pump which is not being used?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 19th 2015, 5:03pm

You aren't going to automate this very easily, so you might as well keep it simple.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, July 20th 2015, 7:29am

I fail to understand why you don't design around the pond that stays full?!
If I were to ever need two pumps on a system, I would probably opt for altering the electrical supply to include a switch, which would allow me to select the desired pump.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, July 20th 2015, 7:45am

In your situation, though, being the controller and extra wiring is already in place, and assuming each pump has its own pump start relay, then turning off the controller is all that's required. However, I must say, a design that is grossly expensive for what it does. A $20 switch and some high voltage wiring would have accomplished the same thing at a fraction the cost.

Buchanan

Thursday, July 23rd 2015, 2:22pm

Thanks!

Appreciate your input.
The systems were in place when we bought the house. Did not think to tell the previous owner that we did not want them. G

Rate this thread