You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Roco8823

Monday, June 22nd 2015, 11:43pm

Help with Zones!

Hello, I have a Rain Bird SST-900I controller. I experienced a problem today that I have never had before. When zone 1 turns on its also turning on Zone 5 for some reason and vica versa.The water pressure is low on zone 1 and zone 5 it's just bubbling out. Manually I can turn each zone on no problem from the outside valve. I teied a reset on controller but had the same result. My landscaper said its the controller and I should replace it. Wanted to see what you guys think. Thanks!

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 23rd 2015, 12:52am

Hi Roco, try this, disconnect the number 5 wire from the controller and turn on number 1. Do they both still come on? If so it's not the controller.
If so the wires are touching. The number 1 and 5 wires are touching somewhere. Look for bare wires touching.

If number 5 doesn't come on then something's fishy with the controller. Do a reset and try again.

Roco8823

Tuesday, June 23rd 2015, 9:10am

Zones help

Thanks for the advice! I just disconnected zone 5 and the problem is still there. So I'm looking for the two zone wires touching bare but don't see it. Could it be anything else, I just don't get it. Like I said I haven't had this problem in over a year since I moved in.

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 23rd 2015, 11:44am

Since the problem only happens when number 1 or 5 is activated then it's a wiring issue.

Perhaps the two zones are wired together at the valves. That's probably not it but look anyway. Sometimes a gardener will knock the wires loose and just hook them back up without knowing what he's doing.

Speaking of gardeners, sometimes they weed wack the wire. Look where the wire exits the garage or anyplace that it's exposed to the sun.

Do any digging lately? If you nicked the wires with a shovel that can cause the problem.

Maybe there's a spare wire you can use to replace either 1 or 5.

Good luck!

Rate this thread