You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

GaryK4

Tuesday, May 26th 2015, 8:26am

Pipe sizes

I was at Lowes looking for 1/2" tubing. It appears that there are (2) 1/2" tubing sizes. One appeared to have a .500 ID and the other a .600 ID. Also (2) 1/2" barbed connector are available one for each of the (2) tubing sizes. What is the deal with this? It causes compatibility issues.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 26th 2015, 9:13am

If it's drip irrigation you have in mind, it's easier to think metric. There is 16mm tubing and there is 17mm tubing. Try to stay with the 17mm size.

GaryK4

Tuesday, May 26th 2015, 2:14pm

No, not a drip system. I have popup heads with 1/2" poly tubing going to them. I wanted to move one and I went to Lowes. There were (2) barb connectors both both labeled 1/2" and they were different sizes.
If it's drip irrigation you have in mind, it's easier to think metric. There is 16mm tubing and there is 17mm tubing. Try to stay with the 17mm size.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 26th 2015, 4:06pm

actual 1/2-inch poly tubing is uncommon, and it connects with clamps over barbed fittings made of grey PVC

much more common is swing pipe, that is meant to connect a single head to the sprinkler system, and it does not need clamps, as the thicker-walled tubing is meant to wiggle over the barbed elbows it's used with