You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

yomahomie03

Starting Member

Sunday, May 24th 2015, 11:04pm

Sprinkler Zone Will not shut off

Hey everyone...I recently purchased a house that already had a Hunter irrigation system with the Hunter Pro-C controller. I am not sure how many "zones" we have, but I am almost sure that it is to because there are only two valves set up (one in front of the home and the other in the back). Before we moved in both valves where leaking out of the housing so I would turn them on manually. Always turned them on manually and out of nowhere one day the rear ones turned on whenever I turned the water on for the system. Recently the rear sprinkler head started leaking. Initially I thought that is was drainage draining out of the lowest sprinkler head, but I was going continued for a day and a half. The only way to stop the leak was to turn off the main water supply to the HOUSE because the main water supply to just the system didn't seem to be enough (maybe it was drainage then).
So, I replaced both anti syphon valves with the rain bird brand thinking that that would solve my problems. Well, it solved most of them. It doesn't leak from the valve housing or from the lowest sprinkler head, but it still comes on whenever I turn on the water to the sprinkler system. The only ways that I can turn the water off is to turn off the water supply to the system or you the flow control knob on the top of the valve. It won't even turn off manually from the solenoid, which makes me believe that something is stuck open allowing water to past through, but it's new. Was going to take it off to clean it just in case, but I am not sure how. The other one had screws to loosen. On the model I have (cheaper one) I see no screws. Makes me wonder do I just screw it off (didn't want to break it). I am at a lost.
Things that I have tried:
-Replacing both valves
-Turning the controller in the off position
-Turning the solenoid in the off position
-Bleeding the bleed valve
-Unhooking on of the wires to the solenoid
Any insight? Tried just about everything that I can think of besides taking the new one apart and cleaning it. Like, I said I see no screws. Any else know how to disassemble this thing. Is it just a twist?

mrfixit

Monday, May 25th 2015, 12:06am

You bought Rainbird Jar Top ASV's. Get rid of them. I've seen these valves not shut off all the way and continually leak due to a bit of water hammer.

Yes they unscrew. Maybe you have debris inside the new valves. Could be glue from the install.

Rate this thread